• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Latest April Model

Duke Maddog

Well, this is a civilian vehicle, not used for military purposes, so I'm posting this here since there's no Real Space for understandable reasons. (Seriously? Who builds real space? :S :idonno :woohoo: )

Here is my latest model finished this month. This is the Monogram 1/72 scale Space Shuttle with Boosters. I did her up as the Columbia:

Columbia_Space_Shuttle_with_Boosters_I.jpg

Columbia_Space_Shuttle_with_Boosters_II.jpg

This model is over two feet tall. I placed a 12" ruler next to this model to show how big this is:

Columbia_Space_Shuttle_with_Boosters_IV.jpg

This thing had been a problem sitting on my workbench for the longest time. I'm so thrilled to have finished it! Now I have a different problem: Where am I gonna put this? :idonno :frantic

Excellent job Mark!

I got to see the Discovery when I was at the air museum at Dulles. It was huge! It was also NOT all that smooth on the back side. The underside tiles all had that bleached burned look and the side tiles all had streaking to them. Was rather rushed in running through that museum as I arrived a couple of minutes after 4, but still had a decent walk through. Weren't a lot of people which made it easier and quicker.

Thanks for the fantastic replies guys!

Bob, I agree, I would love to see that brought back.

Thanks Luiz! I'm very happy with this.

Paul, thanks for the comment and compliment! What a great story. Part of the reason I took so long on this was because I was trying to think of a way to replicate the tiles on the underside that wouldn't take years of effort. Finally, after two-plus years of fiddling with this and having no solutions; I just decided to go ahead and just get it done! I can imagine how cool that was seeing the Discovery at the museum. I haven't seen any shuttle up close, but I do recall the pics and vids of the Endeavor(?) as it was being towed through Los Angeles. Wow!

Thanks John!

Really, really nice job Duke. (y)

I missed the very first shuttle launch by a few of hours back in 1981. Arrived Orlando at noon and Columbia had left at 07:00 or some such.

Thanks Stone! I bet that was a bit frustrating missing it like that. I have never seen a shuttle launch myself except on TV.

Thanks again for the compliment!

Finally, this is the last model I completed in April. This is the 1/72 scale IBG Models Hungarian Toldi II. I had finished up painting and detailing the tracks and now this one is done:

Hungarian_Toldi_II_Tank_I.jpg

Hungarian_Toldi_II_Tank_II.jpg

Now it's time to move on to other projects yet again.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Back