• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Rodent

Stoneboat

The beaver - Castor Canadensis - is a large, semiaquatic mammal, the largest rodent in North America. Primarily nocturnal.. Oops! Wrong reference book. :facepalm

The DHC-2 Beaver was the second design offered by deHavilland Canada after WW2, the first being the primary trainer, the DHC-1 Chipmunk. I had toyed with the idea of building a model of a DC-3 on skis after completing the Turbo Otter, but my friend Rich express an interest in acquiring a model of the Beaver, so Beaver it is. The model is the 1:48 Hobbycraft offering, a pretty good rendition of the real thing. Ok, the only one in 1:48 actually. I had a couple in the stash, so onward. Actually the Hobbycraft model came in two variations, one on floats in Harbour Air titles, and the other they called the Viet Nam Beaver which came only on wheels. I never bothered to check the stash, and when I did I found one Harbour Air machine minus the floats. Oh oh, sez I, but then I opened one of the VN boxes and found a set of floats. Go figure.

The original Beaver was supposed to have been powered by a 350-horse Gypsy Major inline six. Thankfully this insanity was put to rest when Pratt & Whitney advised deHav they had scads of the 450-horse small Pratt R-985's left over from WW2, and a match made in aeronautical heaven ensued. The airplane is so practical it remained unchanged for 50 years. It had seats for seven, including the pilot (I've carried ten, and will only admit it now that the statute of limitations has run out.) The doors are 40-some inches wide, which means that you can roll a 39-inch, 55-gallon, barrel of gas onboard without skinning both sets of knuckles on the door frames. All in all, a fantastic airplane and I loved to fly it.

This is the one I shall attempt to replicate, sn 1272, C-GZBR.
ZBR_zpsf8vep0lr.jpg

More on the history of this aircraft here.
C-GZBR sn 1272

As with any project, one must start somewhere, so what better place than with the floats which I glued together conventionally. The kit floats lack any kind of detail, except for a set of water rudders that I promptly sawed off and threw away. I shall make a new set, along with the hardware, and mount them using these nifty upper and lower mounting brackets I made from scrap metal.
007_zpscqadddw6.jpg

Other detail added to the floats were chine keels on the front steps, shoes on the float keels and a skeg - that little thingy with the hole in it between the steps...
006_zpszoywdrbz.jpg

...Splash guards - made from beverage can - for the inboard front of each float to protect the prop from overspray, as well as new float bumpers made from a bit of balsa wood, glued to where the kit bumper used to be before I sawed it off, and sanded to shape...
004_zpsc54pfrfi.jpg

...New spreader bars that include the doubler found on top of the real spreader bar, complete with the pins that attach the bar to the float...
005_zps4yh2fnpm.jpg

001_zps25cwnr6f.jpg

...I drilled a hole through and through each float just above the step to accept a length of 1/16 od aluminum tube to represent the axle tube for the beaching gear, and added some .010 x .010 styrene strip to represent the attach angles between the float side and bottom skins.
008_zpsd7ix824t.jpg

Finally, two boxing wires that cross diagonally between the spreader bars. On the real thing, these wires are aerodynamically shaped stainless steel flying wires that can be adjusted to ensure the floats are boxed squarely. They have to be finely adjusted - I seem to remember to 1/32" - and hearing an aircraft mechanic call the tolerances while measuring between those metal pins is an education. Who knew that different colour body hairs were so precise? :blink
010_zpsustfx6wp.jpg

I still have to make and install the water rudders and the mounting hardware, along with the cable runs and cables, then two mooring cleats per float as well as finish the pump-out wells and plugs.

Love this airplane-- used to tool around all over the world in this thing back in my Microsoft Flight Simulator days...I can only envy you for flying it for reals :)

I get the impression that what ever insignificant amount of bits and pieces of plastic kit parts that actually make it into the final results are merely token gestures of assembling a model kit
sFun_hail.gif

:drinks

Thanks for the kind comments fellas, much appreciated.

I get the impression that what ever insignificant amount of bits and pieces of plastic kit parts that actually make it into the final results are merely token gestures of assembling a model kit.
Well, I'm a firm believer that an instruction sheet is simply someone else's opinion, so.. ;)

Love this airplane-- used to tool around all over the world in this thing back in my Microsoft Flight Simulator days...I can only envy you for flying it for reals.
The Beaver is nice to fly. It's a flap airplane, meaning it doesn't want to do anything without 'em. The takeoff run will take forever, and landing is the same. I used to go into a small lake on top of a hill as part of servicing a camp that was cutting slash for an electrical power line right of way. It was a one way lake, you went in heading towards the SW and came out the same way. It was small enough that you drug your butt through the brush on landing - using full flap - and as soon as you touched the water dumped the flaps to get stopped before you ran out of lake. On departure you came out empty, but even so you began adding takeoff power while turning into wind, with climb flap, and once on the step added takeoff flap to pop the airplane off the water, then dove into the valley to build up speed to climb out. Fun times. :D

Love it!
I found this photo and can't decide if it's real or not. It just doesn't look like it could fly.
482678e009ec703d2bfa47c3ae158bf9.jpg

If it's real, it would have flown like a tank.

no prop blur but high speed film could account for that.

The bag on the end of the float like it's wrapped around the rudder, that don't look right atall...

Is that a float on the top? Should have just towed it, would seem more plausible.

I think it’s meant as a joke, as in how much it could carry and still fly? I built Trumpeters 1/32 A-10 and mounted a scratch built kitchen sink to one pylon.
Good to see another build from the master on the bench,
All subscribed up, popcorn and beer at the ready, big ol rocking chair to sit comfortably and watch the magic unfold...and pop cans and wire and...
The Floats look great!
I remember one AME striking the boxing wires until he got a matching tune on each wire...I thought he was nuts myself

Love it!
I found this photo and can't decide if it's real or not. It just doesn't look like it could fly.
482678e009ec703d2bfa47c3ae158bf9.jpg

Photoshopped, but not a bad effort. This one is real though. Taken after a hefty night of chili and beer, with cabbage roll appetizers. The driver ordered everyone outside. :woohoo:

Overload%20Beaver_zpsfe29o2ds.jpg

I remember one AME striking the boxing wires until he got a matching tune on each wire...I thought he was nuts myself.
We were all tone deaf so always used the body hair tolerance, with my personal preference being red. Never heard of the tuning fork method. While I was a hangar rat in high school I helped rig a Dragon Rapide. Now that was an experience. :blink

Look closely at the mountain on the bottom left.... is that the Kokanee beer Saskwatch ?
Orrrrr does anybody here drink beer? Lol

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Look closely at the mountain on the bottom left.... is that the Kokanee beer Saskwatch ?
I don't see no Saskwatch, you been into the Kokanee, haven't ya? :D

Well, the floats are finished and have been set aside awaiting an airplane to attach them to.

Some of this motley collection of parts will become the water rudder assembly, cobbled together from scrap metal and plastic. They look a little strange on this airplane, almost like someone took a set of Norseman rudders and cut the tops off them.
002_zpsvafh6zag.jpg

And here they are installed.
004_zpswhlvz6kk.jpg

005_zpsd4pntj1v.jpg

Next came the little doublers around the pump-out wells. There are six wells a side, one per compartment. I knocked them out of chukw tape using a Micro Mark punch, then used tweezers to position them over the hole in the float deck, and used a toothpick left over from a see through drink as a punch to open the hole.
008_zpsukhhy18u.jpg

The wells are closed with removable plugs that are held in position by a kind of wing nut thingy. I made some from copper wire, squose flat...
006_zpsm4zbzsej.jpg

...Then clipped off and sanded to shape. There are 12, one per hole, but make oh...I dunno, 15 or 20. They give a barely audible plick! sound as they sail off the tip of your tweezers never to be seen again in this dimension. Let me clarify a little, the floats came from the manufacturer with those plugs. Over a few seasons, they got lost, fell overboard and joined Davy Jones in his locker, etc. They would be replaced with little rubber balls of various bright colours. Downside of that was if you spent a night tied up to a dock in some little village, the next morning all the little kids would be bouncing colourful rubber balls off any handy building. Then they'd look at you and give you a big grin. :D
007_zpspgxsha9h.jpg

I used flat black paint to represent the anti-skid paint on the float decks. This stuff was called Dek-Tred, and came in a variety of colours. (I prefer grey, it's easier to apply for some reason, but this airplane has black.) This stuff could not be applied with an airbrush because of the grit, so it was applied with a brush - without the benefit of masking tape - and it showed.
010_zpsab9dsw93.jpg

The cable runs, mooring cleats and the balance cable have been installed. The aft cable run is larger than the others because all three water rudder cables run through it. They are bits of wire insulation epoxied to the float deck.
012_zpst0zsmm5s.jpg

Add a bit more Dek-Tred to the front spreader bar, and a couple of HO scale locomotive decals to represent the float data plate, and I'm calling them finished for now. There was a method to the madness of adding a strip of Dek-Tred to the spreader bar. To get from one side of the airplane to the other meant crouching down with your butt on your heels, hanging on to the float flying wires and scuttling sideways like a crab underneath the fuselage. I once had one foot slide off the bar into the water, but that was the closest I ever came to disaster. (Disaster for real, I can't swim. 'Course the sea water up here is cold enough you'd die from hypothermia before you drowned anyway.)
001_zpsxpj38d7b.jpg

002_zpsrnumqrix.jpg

Back