• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'Bug' * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

So I wasn't expecting to get any 'me time' until Sunday at the earliest, however two big appointments postponed this morning which suddenly left me with six hours to myself - well there's a shame !

So in that six hours, I applied three (brushed) coats of Johnsons Klear to the Lumina (roughly 45mins between each coat), walked down to my local 'Toyworld' and bought their last can of TS42 'Light Gunmetal' and home again to spray my next project.

he3f8654.jpg

h99cb77d.jpg

h9bd7ba8.jpg

The Tamiya '66 Bug had been de-seamed sanded and primed a few months back. Most of the sub-assemblies are done and all of them primed too. So here's the result of two overall light coats of TS42, photos don't do it justice, it's silk smooth and very shiny already. Next I'll mask and spray the second colour - yep it's going to be a two-tone Beetle !!

Ian.

'Bug'

Ha! I was reading your post and saw the car on your monitor and was thinking to myself, " that's not a bug, what the hell is Ian talking about?" .....Then I scrolled down! :rotf

Looks great so far!

'Bug'

Cheers Warren
The desktop pic is a McLaren 570GT (not the 570S). But as there's no kit of the GT, you can guess as to a near future build somewhere on my production line.

Sprayed the second colour on my Beetle yesterday. Pics later along with completed Lumina photos.

Stay tuned.

Ian.

'Bug'

Nice. (y)

I went through 4 bugs, a 65, 67, 69 and a 72 Super Beetle. The 65 was my first car, 36 thundering horses, I seem to recall. No gas gauge, there was a one quart aux tank that got you to a gas station if you ran the main dry. It had a manual choke, and if you got stuck in a snowbank, simply pull the choke a bit to keep the engine running in 1st gear, and get out and push. Care must be taken not to fall on your butt and let the car escape all by itself. :S

'Bug'

No rust here, but looks like somebody spilled some Tamiya Mica Red all over my poor wee Beetle !

haebaaa3.jpg

he82f281.jpg

h35a527a.jpg

Don't touch that dial...

Ian.

'Bug'

That old beetle is looking pretty good Ian!

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

Doing old bugs is a simple/hard thing for me. Have tons of info and tons of experience with the old beasts. Really should dig out the 1/9 scale Kubelwagen and hit it hard. Have the tools now and still have the info. It's just that everything except the body on that old thing is crap and wrong. Will think about it and maybe go work on a famous ship first.

'Bug'

VERY close to final assembly now:

hf853605.jpg

hd88d2fd.jpg

Busy weekend and an exam on Monday, so probably won't get any bench time until Tuesday. No matter it will get done, and I'm already eyeing my next build... :v

Have a great weekend everyone.

Ian.

'Bug'

Engine, interior & chassis assembly started this morning after we got in from football (US = soccer):

hc91d3bd.jpg

h11a551b.jpg

h94d6cca.jpg

And then finished in a second session this afternoon:

h3d73a78.jpg

h0fe4adb.jpg

he9b3795.jpg

h0512c63.jpg

Next I'll polish-out the bodyshell, dip the transparencies in Klear and carefuly, very carefully squeeze the wheels on to their axles. Stay tuned, more tomorrow hopefully.

Ian.

'Bug'

Nice. (y)

I went through 4 bugs, a 65, 67, 69 and a 72 Super Beetle. The 65 was my first car, 36 thundering horses, I seem to recall. No gas gauge, there was a one quart aux tank that got you to a gas station if you ran the main dry. It had a manual choke, and if you got stuck in a snowbank, simply pull the choke a bit to keep the engine running in 1st gear, and get out and push. Care must be taken not to fall on your butt and let the car escape all by itself. :S

Don't forget the Gasoline Bomb.....err fired heater under the front hood, I found out the hard way that the Transmission input shaft grew by roughly 1/4" from I forget which year to the next which just happened to be the difference between the year of the engine and the car I was trying to put it in :bang head ahh those were the days :eek:ldguy

Beautiful work as always Ian (y) :popcorn
:drinks

'Bug'

Great work Ian. (y)

Don't forget the Gasoline Bomb.....err fired heater under the front hood...

Never happened to me, but I knew a guy who had one let go on him. He pulled over to the side of the road and shoveled snow onto the thing to put the fire out. :S

Back