• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy B-377

nsmekanik

Many Many moons ago (well maybe not so long :tomato ) I was given an Academy B-377 Stratocruiser by a certain :captain (Bligh)........

IMG_01485B15D.JPG

IMG_01515B15D.JPG

IMG_01555B15D.JPG

IMG_01565B15D.JPG

IMG_0167~0.JPG

IMG_0168~0.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

It's not really a complex kit but in some ways it sure needs a bit of help, the engines being a major bit of funky something, I'll post pics later, and basically it's a mix of B-29 etc parts, meaning that both the props and wheels are wrong.

The decals as supplied depict 2 aircraft, one being the prototype, and the other Pan Am's Clipper Nightingale, Both in overall Natural metal. This is not something I wanted to do, so after a bit of searching I came across a set of decals done by "Flying Colors" for a BOAC Plane, which were not exactly floating around in abundance, but fortunately Hannants had 2 sets left so I managed to score a set :D . The decals will allow one to do any one of 6 planes ordered by BOAC and from what I read up on these decals work quite well. These planes were a dark blue, white, natural metal and.......Boeing grey......now what the @#$% color is Boeing grey? Apparently Model Master Voodoo Grey is an exact match, but guess what, Model Master quit making it, well, long enough ago that finding it would have been out of the question except, guess what :coolio , one of the hobby shops I'm close too was doing a bit of house cleaning and happened to have 2 jars of the stuff :yipee so I gots me one (y)

What was Really cool though, is that an outfit called Cobra Company did an engine prop and wheel set to fix a few of the issues with the kit, BUT, sadly, due to declining health issues, the owner decided to shut down operations. This before I was able to spring for the set. Fortunately though, recently, Mike West of Lone Star Models picked up the Cobra Company line and is dusting things up and re releasing much of it, including the B-377 upgrades in both 1/144 and 1/72.

Soooo....after browsing Ebay and looking longingly at all the (well not that many) rather heavily priced Xutong TU-2's and IL 4's (as the SB's seemed to have disappeared) I decided that as much as I would like to have one for the money I'd rather have the B-377 upgrade :smack and so I sent Mike some money...... :drinks

Cool. (y) I think Mark just finished one of these in NMF. I don't blame you on avoiding one of those schemes and the BOAC scheme will be rather unique to boot.

:popcorn

the shiny object attracted me. :rotf

:popcorn[/quote]

Like some hungry black bass or a defenseless little kitty.

I despise you, Mr. Bligh..........
gbQlXOY.jpg

H733xFx.jpg

Just sayin :drunk

not a complicated kit, but does need a little help
BHXkiQc.jpg

H4RSe93.jpg

7EZhhNC.jpg

:drinks

We have some airliner guys around here, maybe they can offer up some tips. I haven't tried one lately, not sure i can get the masking right to start with.
:popcorn

Man, you're off to a great start. I've seen one of those in Northwest and Pan Am titles, but never BOAC. Theirs was an understated paint scheme, and I'm betting it'll look fantastic. (y)

Quit cher bitchin. At least you don't have to do all those seats and belts. Maskin that puppy will be a pita. Cant wait untill you do your thing.

The plan is to up the survival rate of the elderly by keeping all you old farts focused and lingering...... :eek:ldguy

cuase this is gonna be a sloooow process...... :drunk

:D :drinks

The plan is to up the survival rate of the elderly by keeping all you old farts focused and lingering...... :eek:ldguy

cuase this is gonna be a sloooow process...... :drunk

:D :drinks

Don't make it too slow ns, some of us geezers could be on our last legs. :laugh:

Soooo....after browsing Ebay and looking longingly at all the (well not that many) rather heavily priced Xutong TU-2's and IL 4's (as the SB's seemed to have disappeared)

Looks like a very nice build so far. Apparently rumor has it that the SB is still going to be released by a company called Bobcat models. Not sure if they just changed their name or what. But hopefully we will see it released soon.

Back