• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Back to the hobby

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
Greetings everyone,

After having been away for nearly a month, visited my old country, Romania, now I'm back in Australia, with a nasty cold at the moment. That's what you get when you spend time in stinking hot summer and travel back to middle of the winter.

While away, I managed to go through a big pile of old family photos and papers. Found out that one of my mum's uncles was a highly decorated pilot in WW2, in the Royal Romanian Air Force. Here's a photo of him...

hfd0d76a.JPG

A closer look shows the Iron Cross second class ribbon, the Aeronautical Virtue in Gold medal and nine other bars, alongside with the eagle badge that shows he was a pilot. I have been trying to find more about him, but, so far, to no avail. Will keep trying.

As Romania was a German ally until August 1944, it was quite common for Romanian military to be decorated with the Iron Cross - some high ranked officers got the Knight's Cross too, but that's not the case here.

Also found a pile of old post cards, some dated 1899 ....like this one below

hb5c7ef8.JPG

Other than that, I have attended the Australian Defence Force Academy Open Day and took some closeup photos of an Abrams tank. I needed those for my current build, an Abrams in the 1980's in Germany.

hae77b81.JPG

h354786c.JPG

h98176f9.JPG

One of the guys in uniform there asked me bluntly "Are you doing an Abrams model?" :D

Got a few more photos, but I won't post them all here for now.

This is the look I am going for ....

h27be9e5.JPG

Unfortunately, still renting with very limited space, so, at the moment, work on the Bismarck is nearly impossible :bang head

That's it for now, more to come, hopefully soon.

Laurence

Welcome Back Sir!

That is some really Kool family history. Looking forward to seeing more of your builds especially the Aussi Abrams. They have the Koolist camo scheme of any Abrams. As A side note be aware the picture you have of the Wheel shows the newer center hub cover, not a 100% sure it was used during the 80's. Here is a pic of the center hub most likely used during that time period.

hd6ccdaa.jpg

...and don't let that cold beat you!
:v

Back