• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48th Bandai King Tiger

centaur567

h8ebf0db_2017-01-17.jpg

hb8afc6f.JPG

ha0d08b4.JPG

he2d484d.JPG

Soon as I finish (or sooner) the Sturmovick I'll start this. Gary S. :soldier

h5911e45.JPG

h5911e45_2017-01-23.JPG

h2c12f95_2017-01-23.JPG

h8d7e609.JPG

The engine is nicely detailed, but only the top of it will be seen.

h910150a.JPG

Ok, looks like I'm commited or need to be. The interior red was made by mixing Testors red with MM Military Brown. The the lighter color is Testors Ivory. Close enough. The engine compartment walls were made from sheet plastic. Gary S.

Thanks!! I like the 48th scale armor because it is compatible with my 48th scale aircraft. I just like to keep the proportions the same. My New Years res. is to alternate between aircraft and armor builds. I still have a lot of Bandai kits and most of them have a decent interior. I could never understand why most tanks don't have interiors. Would we build aircraft without interiors? Gary S. :pilot :soldier

hbf3010b.jpg

h51241f3.jpg

had1653a.jpg

h49926a5.jpg

These four Porche turret King Tigers appear not to have zimmeret. If so it would make building a lot easier. I thought the early KT's had zimerett.

hc157cf7.jpg

And shows very well in this pic of a Henchel turret. Gary S.

Here's the web site for these pics.
http://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/tiger2/king-tiger-tank-2-porsche-turret/

h1450dd2.jpg

And another view of the ladder. Gary S.

I just found this post on an armor forum.
The Porsche turret was mounted on the first 50 Tiger II chassis (Fgst.Nr. V1-V3 and 280001-280047). Fgst.Nr. 280048 was produced in June 1944 which means all Tiger IIs shipped prior to June had the Porsche turret.This includes:

Fgst.Nr. V2 is the Tiger II (Porsche-Turm) currently on display at Bovington. This tank does not have zimmerit and was found by the British at Henschel's test area in Haustenbeck.

I don't have information on what happened to Fgst.Nr.V1 and V3.

March 1944
Pz.Lehr.Div. - 5 (Fgst.Nr.280001-280005). These Tigers all had zimmerit.

April 1944
Waffenamt Prüfwesen 6 (Weapons Proof Department 6) - 3 (Porsche-Turm)
Ersatz-Heer (Replacement Army) - 4 (Porsche-Turm)

May 1944
Waffenamt Prüfwesen 6 (Weapons Proof Department 6) - 3 (Porsche-Turm)
Ersatz-Heer (Replacement Army) - 4 (Porsche-Turm)

That's 22.

June 1944
1./s.H.Pz.Abt.503 (1st company 503rd Heavy Tank Battalion (Army)) - 12 (Porsche-Turm). These all had zimmerit.

July 1944
3./s.H.Pz.Abt.503 (3rd company 503rd Heavy Tank Battalion (Army)) - 12 (Porsche-Turm), 2 (Serien-Turm). These all had zimmerit. Two of the Tiger IIs (Porsche-Turm) were left behind when the unit deployed to the front due to technical problems.

So far that accounts for 46 of 50

s.H.Pz.Abt.503 (503rd Heavy Tank Battalion (Army)) was renamed s.H.Pz.Abt.FHH (Feldhernnhalle Heavy Tank Battalion (Army))

September 1944
s.H.Pz.Abt.FHH (Feldhernnhalle Heavy Tank Battalion (Army)) - 43 (Serien-Turm), 2 (Porsche-Turm).The two Tiger IIs (Porsche-Turm) are the same tanks left behind by the unit in August. Both of these tanks ended up in 3rd company (Tiger 314 and 334) and were shipped to Hungary with the rest of the unit in Oct. 1944. I believe these are likely the only two Tigers with the Porsche turret to receive whitewash.

s.H.Pz.Abt.506 (506th Heavy Tank Battalion (Army)) - This unit was in the process of refitting with 45 Tiger II (Serien-Turm) when it was ordered to deploy to the Arnhem area to deal with the Allied operation there. It borrowed a number of Tiger II (Porsche-Turm) from the Paderborn training facility during this time.

So we are left with 4 Tiger II (Porsche-Turm) unaccounted for. My suspicion is they ended up with Wa.Prüf 6 and/or the Ersatz-Heer (replacement army).

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-35823.html

hee2e9c6.JPG

hdf147ed.JPG

The kits periscope guards were a bit over done and too squared off. Made new ones out of lead roof flashing material left over from the house build. Always looking out for stuff that could be used for modeling. Gary S.

Back