• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dedicated to the 343 FDNY heroes of 9/11

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
This build is to mark the 15th anniversary of the heroism of FDNY firefighters, on a day that changed the world. It has never been the same after that, and I am sure that we all have memories of that day.

After having done a fair bit of research, articles, images, videos, everything that I could find, I realised that a diorama to capture a symbol of everything that happened then, including the sacrifice, the heroism, the tragedy, the fight for survival, the destruction, the inspirational stories, the photos that captured what were to become ever lasting symbols, a diorama to capture all that would have been HUGE.

I had to make a call. I chose to do the firetruck and thus point at the FDNY staff, but, by no means, have I, or will I ever forget about the Police, Ambulance, all other men and women who were called upon, all the civilians, all of the victims and survivors.

Because this is something that happened not too long ago, I am fully aware of the strong opinions, feelings, emotions, pretty much every known human feeling. This is solely, purely, entirely and exclusively a diorama that was meant to capture an emotional moment in recent history, a small gesture to express gratitude to firefighters, people who we only see and hear when things require their presence, or if we happen to live nearby a fire station.

I am very happy to say that, on this site, I have never seen or heard of interpretation outside the world of modeling. That makes me being here being at home in the world of models. Great place, great models, but first and foremost, great people.

After this long and convoluted intro I will start posting photos soon, all the progress so far.

Thank you for having the patience to read this.

Laurence

The journey so far ..... the kit was a Christmas present, work began at the end of December 2015.

hfbe9c2a_2016-08-18.JPG

h4cb8e25.JPG

I've decided to do an open door cabin, so the door had to be detailed.

h32db4ef.JPG

Damaged door

h9a71635.JPG

Then, I started damaging the cabin ....

h0f52033.JPG

haccedb2.JPG

hc75db98.JPG

The hoses at the back of the truck were made of braided elastic, folded and glued, painted yellow.

h74ca2ee.JPG

On to dusting - this took a very long time. Pastels, sandpaper and a very fine sieve, the sort used for tea leaves. I had to add a tea sachet mesh, the finest I could find to make it super fine.

The procedure? Very simple. Hairspray, sift some of the "dust", shake off the excess - job done. Yeah right - first off, the dust doesn't adhere evenly because the spray doesn't adhere evenly. It forms "bubbles". The surface had to be covered with a flat coat first.

hc4d91a1.JPG

hc404c77.JPG

This is the progress so far, there is a lot more work to be done.

I would have loved to have it done by 9/11, but that will certainly not happen.

Many thanks for watching,

Laurence

Mrs Pup complains about the fumes, but I think those are a different kind of fume. :rotf :mpup

A worthy project, I'll follow along. (y)

Beautiful & Bittersweet in a way, all at the same time. Praise God to those who run TOWARDS danger, as opposed to AWAY from it

Neat work

Thanks Tim :notworthy

For the past few days I have been working on the base for this diorama .... took a while, but at least the frame is almost done, need to add a wooden trim. That's a couple of days work.

h9eecc6f.JPG

Laurence

It's hard to believe it's been 15 years since 9/11.

Looking good Laurence. :popcorn

Thanks Bob :notworthy

I had the same thought, hard to believe it's been 15 years since then. I remember that day vividly, I wasn't in Australia then, it was on TV, live, kept everyone glued. The next few days, it was all that people would talk about.

Laurence

Great effects!...well done :good:

Luiz

Thank you Luiz, much appreciated :D

Here's the base, prior to doing any work on the layout / terrain / building. Built, sanded, sealed and stained. Possibly some more staining, certainly a layer of protective gloss, make that two coats.

h6b5e8d2.JPG

Prior to staining

hc6e4d0c.JPG

Stained left side and wiped off right side. Reasonably happy with the result so far.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Back