• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Scale Gaz ground work

JSteinman

Master at Arms
I did this little Gaz awhile back
DSCN0559.JPG

and I plan to bring it to AMPS so it needs a base.

I started with a plain wood disk from JoAnn's Fabrics, sanded and sealed with a one step stain finish product from Minwax. Over this I have added MagicSculpt pressing in tire and track detail and a Tamiya 55 gallon drum. I started the Mud coloring with water soluble oil paints.
DSC_0253.JPG

To begin the rusting process I use the Life color rust and dust set. I start with the lightest color rust and give the drum a couple of complete coats.
DSC_0257.JPG

I then use fine sponge and apply the next darker color.
DSC_0282.JPG

I do this for all the colors in the series, building them up over top of each other. I then apply a brown wash, then two rust color washes one light and one dark.
DSC_0284.JPG

Masking is applied, again with a sponge.
DSC_0285.JPG

First color is then applied to the drum.
DSC_0286.JPG

Then masked and the 2nd color applied.
DSC_0287.JPG

The masking removed.
DSC_0288.JPG

And a couple of rust washes applied.
DSC_0292.JPG

More to come stay tuned!

Great looking drum there... why must it be so good to compete with the GAZ?
:pp

Regards,

masterly work of a true master! i really love all your works john!

when looking at the first step of your rust work, i had some doubts but i should have known better since the outcome is stellar!

Thanks!

Laura, I know, the ugly duckling stage can be hard to get past, but you have to keep the faith and keep going!

That's totally backwards of what I would think to paint the thing, but it makes sense. Thanks John, looking great so far!

I just got home and saw the rest of the images. I have fiber optics at home and the images took longer than I expected until I saw the actual size! Thanks for providing us publication sizes, I am saving them for myself.

For the sake of others, can I scale them down to 1024 for you?

Regards,

This is just too cool. Will have to try it and see. I could see a cool burn barrel coming out of this.
James

I'm with Saul...normally by this time of year snow would not be a welcome sight...but yours is OK ;)

Back