• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Winter Camouflage using the Hair Spray Technique

Thanks John, you make it look so easy. Is there another type of under treatment that could be used, say a clear coat, Future? (then I wouldn't be the Hair Spray Technique I know...)

Re: Winter Camouflage using the Hair Spray Techniq

MP, it's the property that makes hair spray, removable from your hair that we take advantage of. If you couldn't wash the stuff out of your hair think how funny some of the ladies would look, Sid Vcious comes to mind. Because HS can be reactivated, even after fully drying, with water it acts as a releasing agent between the two layers. I have used other masking agents, but this is far superior.

Now I understand why this works so well. Sounds good, thanks John. Good article and great looking build.

What do you use to remove the white? Regular thinner as recommended for the paint you are using?

Re:Winter Camouflage using the Hair Spray Techniqu

Thanks for the great tutorial.between this one and the earlier one posted by Sven,I think I could actually do this.I will try it out on my Dragon Jagdpanzer IV smart kit after some practice on an old model.

Re:Winter Camouflage using the Hair Spray Techniqu

Great article John,
thanksfor the clear explanation and the high quality pics as they really explain the process well.

Ian.

I tried that process and it came out pretty good ...for the first one, but after seeing this i think i might have goofed now. I did a KV base coated in Russian green, and then applied some large white numbers to the turret sides. After the HS I airbrushed my white and got as close to the numbers leaving some of the original green. Then did the rubbing away. Now I'm not really sure how this was actually done, like if the decals were a different color put them on after the white and then pick around them? Or did the Russians and Germans do the job differently? Anyway it looks pretty good just the same. I'm glad I finally did it.

Back