• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Testing white wash techniques.

JSteinman

Master at Arms
So I wanted to test out different methods of achieving a worn white wash. I will use MIG washable white, with and without hairspray, and regular white with hairspray.

v8FaSee.jpg

The test bed, Tamiya ancient KV-2. Hairspray applied.

OVK24k7.jpg

Washable white applied.

Js5I78w.jpg

Washable white activated on roof. (no hairspray)

lZoYVgl.jpg

Washable over hairspray activated.

7zrWA1a.jpg

Non-washable over hairspray.

SxAulew.jpg

Activated.

Then I went on to play around a little bit more, just for the hell of it.

vmLFCgM.jpg

I "washed" off more white to see how far I could go, then with my finger and a drop of washable white, I smeared it over the "washable" side.

NhbNa6Q.jpg

Then I did the same thing to the Non-washable side.

As you can see, by varying the materials and techniques you get wildly different results!

Great write up John.

My best results have come from a good coat of Future so it's nice and glossy, followed by a heavily thinned, lightly sprayed matte white. The Future protects and impedes adhesion, so you can scrub off the white wherever you want:

hf1f2663.jpg

he0dfaf4.jpg

I prefer the old way of reg.white over hair spray,looks more natural for wear where as the other looks like the crew is trying to wash the white off.

What do I know,i'm old and set in my ways. :D
Tony lee :eek:ldguy

Guess it depends on what you're wanting to do. Fairly fresh but used on the lhs, old wore out on the rhs. All of it looks great.

This is an outstanding tutorial John, thanks for posting it. I don't do winter whitewashes, but I can see how this technique would also work with dirt and dust washes to get similar effects. Very nice!

Good stuff there. Thanks for doing the testing. Whitewash is one of my bugaboos, but this makes sense of it.
James

Back