• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My hand at painting the Spanish way....

Joe Hudson

Master at Arms
Well, I have not been doing much lately. I got the flu bug, for over a week now, and up until now have not even been on the computer but every so often did some lurking from my I-Pad. Anyway's, I was able to attend a painting seminar over Labor Day with Fernando Ruiz. He is a really great guy and all around Great figure painter and teacher. He really challenged us and esp myself to go the extra that I have wanted to do but either was to afraid to do so or just did not know the right way..I still may not know the right way but going to try!

Here is the figure where I am at now. I was going more for a colder,sickly looking man, so this is the reason for my completely out of my norm flesh and then a ragged tattered clothing. Thanks for looking and all comments welcomed.

All Vallejo acrylics and the figure is a 54 mm resin casting.

Joe

P9170341.jpg

P9170342.jpg

P9170346.jpg

P9170345.jpg

P9170347.jpg

P9170344.jpg

P9170340.jpg

Very interesting Joe. Could you tell how you did the face? I have a frigid figure to do and I just cant get past the face. I like the looks of yours. Also what mix did you use for the vest? Looking forward to watching this. (y) (y) (y)

James

Very interesting Joe. Could you tell how you did the face? I have a frigid figure to do and I just cant get past the face. I like the looks of yours. Also what mix did you use for the vest? Looking forward to watching this. (y) (y) (y)

James

Hey James,

Thanks! I will get you the flesh mix later today, can't think of it off the top of my head. I do know the vest and it is a doozey! :gogo
Let's set it up with a litte lesson on the Spanish way per Fernando. Mix up a base, then 2 highlight and 2 shadow colors. Then a pure highlight and pure shadow. After all this then very controlled glazes of many different colors, that's were the fun begins!

For this mix take flat red + basic skin tone to make pink
Base: burnt umber + Oxford blue
Add pink to base
More pink to base
Shadow: base + black
More black

Now the fun! You add glazes all over and try to keep in mind the highlight areas and shadow areas. The colors used for the glazes were.....
English uniform, buff, khaki,sky blue. These were just added all over in very thin controlled glazes. I know it sounds crazy but that is what is done.

Thanks guys.

Andy, sorry will not make Chicago but going to try and make Atlanta. My boys have football games the weekend of Chicago.

Joe

Flesh mixture
Base: orange brown + khaki.............more OB for life or more khaki for a colder look
Highlights: add basic skin tone to base
Highlight: more basic skin tone to base
High: basic skin tone

Add thin wash to whole face with burnt cadmium red

Shadows: burnt cadmium red to base
Shadows 2x : add 2 mixes of burnt cadmium red to base

Beard: base + Oxford blue

Lower ear,nose and cheeks very thin flat red

Black to separate eye lids and lips

Violet to temples and eye bags

Hope this helps! :snoopy

Flesh mixture
Base: orange brown + khaki.............more OB for life or more khaki for a colder look
Highlights: add basic skin tone to base
Highlight: more basic skin tone to base
High: basic skin tone

Add thin wash to whole face with burnt cadmium red

Shadows: burnt cadmium red to base
Shadows 2x : add 2 mixes of burnt cadmium red to base

Beard: base + Oxford blue

Lower ear,nose and cheeks very thin flat red

Black to separate eye lids and lips

Violet to temples and eye bags

Hope this helps! :snoopy

Thanks Joe. I will give it a try and see what happens. I think I have all those colours.
James

Hey JOE ,

Great lookin Figure .. He's definitely one for th reaper ... & Soon !!

Question : When you say Glaze do you mean you mix th paint with another medium ? I've made .. what I think is a Glaze, with Vallejo & Liquitex Slow Blending Gel ... Am I on th right track or is there a Glaze medium that gets mixed into th Vallejo & if so .. what's th ratio ?

I too am eagerly awaiting the Next installments to this !!!

:drinks :popcorn

Hey JOE ,

Great lookin Figure .. He's definitely one for th reaper ... & Soon !!

Question : When you say Glaze do you mean you mix th paint with another medium ? I've made .. what I think is a Glaze, with Vallejo & Liquitex Slow Blending Gel ... Am I on th right track or is there a Glaze medium that gets mixed into th Vallejo & if so .. what's th ratio ?

I too am eagerly awaiting the Next installments to this !!!

:drinks :popcorn

Thanks. I am still trying to kick this bug but at least feeling a little bit like painting something..I hope soon!

Anyways, the glaze is just WATER and Paint nothing else. The paint is basicly tinted water no additives. I hope this helps and if not just ask.

Joe

Me too (y) (y) (y)

Sorry that you wont make the show, Joe big cheer for the lads football game though :)

Thanks Andy. I have not been to a show in over 2 years now and really ready to go! Anyways, having fun with the kids is to me more important now. I have to show..don't have my wallet pictures but the next best thing! Here is a little YouTube of my youngest son, Brody, scoring his first touchdown! :D He is in the green uniform and number 14. he fakes a handoff and runs around the corner for a 35 yard touchdown.

The video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqamCxmImhw

JOE ,

Thanx for th Glaze !! Gotcha' Boss. :dude

Congrats to your youngest on his 1st. TouchDown !!! Great Video !!

Awesome Stuff !!!

Back