• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1917 Ford Model T American Field Service Ambulance

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
I went a head and got this kit.I figured it would travel nice to the school I'm going to once a month. I'm getting about an hour a two for one night I can work on it. I not a fan of how ICM did the the Model T engine, but I'm going to ignore it and go with the hood closed.

IMG_1974.JPG

The kit does not have any wood grain on it and the interior of the body does not have detail of separate boards. So I marked and scribed some. Then I did wood grain texture with 80 grit sand paper.

IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

The front fenders I tried to put some bends in for wear and tear damage. I ground down the under side of the fenders to thin them first, then bent the fenders with my fingers.

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

Next up is to detail the fenders with rivets, add fender and running board braces.

Looking good Jeff .... nice job on the wood grain .... I never finished My Ambulance but it's on the back of the desk, to remind Me to get after it. ... :popcorn Be watching to see what else you do to this one ... :woohoo:

Love it. I have been wondering about these kits. Do you like them? Looking forward to seeing more.
James

Way to go man! This is looking excellent so far. I love the wood grain look. I built something like this in 1/72 scale awhile back too.

Thanks guys

I got this book to go along with the kit. Not a bad book has some interesting photos that I had not seen before. I enjoy the story's of the use of the Ford Model T. The drivers seem to have a love or hate for them.

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

Love it. I have been wondering about these kits. Do you like them? Looking forward to seeing more.
James

It's not bad James. The kit is simple on details and the plastic is softer than other kits. The details that are there I would rate as good. Having real Model Ts in the family still makes the missing details on the fenders, chassis, engine etc really stand out for me. The one thing about the whole Model T series from ICM (including their 1/24 scale ones) is the left side of the engine. The cylinders are very visible on the real thing, but in the kit it's just molded solid. That drives me crazy. I just don't understand why or how they missed it.

Kit engine

IMG_2023.JPG

A photo of my family's first ever car a 1917 Ford Model T, how the left side of engine should look

IMG010n.jpg

My two cents James. I believe there is now someone doing the engine in resin to fix the issue. By no means don't get the kits because of that default.

Reference on a 1917 Ford Model T chassis can be found here. My Grandfather put a two speed rear end in it. Other than that it's pretty much stock, by the way the black paint on the body is from 1917

:good:

I was able to get most of the running board brackets and the fender iron started yesterday. I'm not going to get into really detailing them as I plan on coating the bottom of this with splashed mud. I also added the missing rivits to the front fenders

real thing of the running board brackets

IMG013n.jpg

I used .020 styrene rod for the running board brackets. First gluing them to the frame, then using clothes pins to hold them to the running board, trimming afterwards.

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2025.JPG

For the front fender Iron I used .020 rod and .040 rod and then used some styrene strip for the fender cup. The rivits I used Grandt line.

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

I'll add a picture of the rivits on guess I missed that when taking progress photos :idonno

Back