• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1953 Ford F100

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
This last winter I came across this lonely pickup sitting in a field. By the way this seems to be how the stories of my real cars start. I took some pictures and still in the process of locating an owner. I was looking at the pictures about a month maybe two months a go and it dawned on me this truck would make a cool subject for a model.

IMG_1325R.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I was in Denver, stopped by Hobby Lobby for a couple paint brushes and as I walked by the model kits two AMT 53 Ford F100 kits jumped off the shelf right at me. I had to defend myself by holding on to them. Yeah that's what happened I sure of it. Security cameras probably captured it all.

Lucky for me I had the 40% discount coupon. :D

I did grab one and I was almost to the check out I thought, might want the other one as I'm going to destroy this the first try.

This X2
IMG_1814.JPG

Project took hold one night when I was sitting at the bench and not really wanting to think just do. I've got some many projects going that I'm hot then cold.

Reference photos

IMG_1315R.jpg

IMG_1321R.jpg

IMG_1316R.jpg

IMG_1317R.jpg

IMG_1318R.jpg

IMG_1320R.jpg

IMG_1322R.jpg

IMG_1323R.jpg

IMG_1324R.jpg

IMG_1326R.jpg

IMG_1327R.jpg

IMG_1328R.jpg

IMG_1329R.jpg

IMG_1330R.jpg

IMG_1331R.jpg

IMG_1332R.jpg

IMG_1335R.jpg

I started with the cab, bed and dash. Denting the roof and opening the drivers door were the big things to do along with removing the wood from the bed. Then I needed to drill out the dash. Along the way I noticed I needed to remove the molded in front part of the radiator.

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

Denting the roof I thought I would try and grinding it down first, the real reason for the second cab.

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

After grinding it with a Dremel, I used 80 grit sand paper and then went to 220, 320 and finished with 600. I think it kinda looks the part. After the dents were done, I scribed the body seem into the back of the cab and the sides of the cowl.

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

More progress

IMG_1834.JPG

The rear end is not great but not bad either. I had to use some putty to fill the axles and I then did some casting texture on the housing.

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

The bed before a lot of filing and sanding.

IMG_1842.JPG

The chrome grill going to have to be modified, it should not one be chrome and it has some "teeth" on it.

IMG_1843.JPG

I assembled the chassis with no real problems other than some sink marks inside and out.

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

Engine and transmission are close enough for what I want with this one. The assembly need some filling and I did casting texture with thinned down gray Squadron putty. The grey Squadron putty seems to have a little self leveling properties to it. Works pretty good for a finer casting texture.

IMG_1849.JPG

The cylinder heads, the bolts were just round circles and there is a big sink mark in each. I drilled out the bolts for the next step of filling and texture.

IMG_1850.JPG

This is basically where I'm at tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZdeg_fL-I

Are you going to do it all ratted out as in the photos or rat rod? :popcorn

My first car was a 53 Ford pickup and I think it did have those vents. Long time ago, though.

My first car was a 53 Ford pickup and I think it did have those vents. Long time ago, though.

They are only on one side so either dealer option or some farmer cut them trying to get more air in the cabin so his wife will stop complaining. :rotf

Looks home made for sure.

:popcorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZdeg_fL-I

Are you going to do it all ratted out as in the photos or rat rod? :popcorn

I want to do the truck as it is in the pictures or as close as I can. Almost went down the road of making it a customized truck with a chopped top more modern drive train, etc. I've been wanting to do a weathered civilian vehicle for a while now and have stalled on a couple starts for that. The things that appealed to me about this one was, there is no hood, no glass, it's the AMT kit with removing some parts.

Those vents on the side, was that normal? Don't recall seeing that.

Yes the vents on the right/passenger side are stock. According to my Grandfather the heater (if the truck had one) would draw air from them. I've owned 3 of the F-100 series, '53, '54 and a '56. They all had the vents and heaters, but all three had a block off plate behind the vent. Grandfather's '54 had a block off plate also. My '54 I cut them out and welded in a piece of sheet metal as I thought they were kinda dumb to have. They are a pain to do body work around.

I can see why MP the look home made as there are pretty beat up. Passenger door is really sprung caused a bunch of damage to the cowl.

Thanks guys, I just realized I started this and now going to be working 16 hour days for the next 7 :idonno

I'll get back to it when I can. :zen

Well if your coming to the corner I'll make some room for you as I seem to find myself there more than other places

:facepalm

I love wrecked models!

It seems like forever since I saw an old AMT kit! I've built hundreds of them!

This will be fun to follow Jeff. I love to build wrecks and watch others build them!

Bob

Those vents on the side, was that normal? Don't recall seeing that.

Yes the vents on the right/passenger side are stock. .

yep they appear to be!

h5df2b3b.jpg

h9b9a9ff.jpg

Neat pics! I used to deer hunt in the mid 70's by sitting in an old abandoned Chevy picup, like that one, but the seat was still pretty much intact. It had no windshield, and worked pretty well, but was so comfy that staying awake was often a problem!

Back