• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hey Fleshy Headed Mutant!

ausf

Master at Arms
Are you a friendly mutant or are you angry?

In an attempt to break up a modeling block, I paid through the nose for this kit.

Back in the 70s, Aurora had patterns made for their Monsters Of The Movies series, but didn't go forward when they were restructured. Ray Meyers sculpted this beautiful piece of the Metaluna Mutant from 'This Island Earth' and that's where the story ended until the pattern appeared on eBay in 2001.

Apparently, the buyer had it broken down and tooled for injection. It was pricey, $50 but I feel good about supporting this type of effort, especially if it gets me to the bench to boot.

So, we're off:

Sprues shot. They did a great job on this.

h79418a2.jpg

Some rubber banding to get this guy in form.

h650b2e1.jpg

He broke free!

h67b52fa.jpg

And as he stands, some clean up and (very little) seam filling. This actual fit better than most kits of this type, whether from the 60s or today. Only really needs coverage in the slots that are there for pose-ability.

h2fd1f91.jpg

Here's screenshot if you're not familiar with this dude:

h72c0354.jpeg

This guy scared the be jeebers out of me when I first saw this movie around 67 or so.

One of the more imaginative aliens from the time period, should be fun the watch. :v

Thanks all.

Yeah, one of my favorites Sci-Fi films too.

Well, got some Mutant progress, patched and primed.

I tried something I've heard before and it's works like a charm...mixing Vallejo Poly Primer with Future. It goes on wet and thin, allows to really control it. Beside the fact that it stretches the primer out, it also makes it nice and sandable like a rattle can coat.

The fit is so nice on this, I only really had to touch up the areas that were slotted for arm movement (this sucker is glued tight) and then blasted it with a 50/50 mix.

Paint next, I'm going to try to do it all with the AB, then maybe some light dry brushing if necessary.

h2a4fb87.jpg

hfa495c5.jpg

h69c6bd2.jpg

"This Island Earth" with Jeff Morrow and Rex Reason, was one of my favorite sci-fi movies when I was a kid!

Anybody remember "The Interositor" machine? The triangular TV communicating device? Some really cool effects for it's day!

Bob

That movie was more fun watching it on Mystery Science Theater 3000. "Are you boys building an interociter?"

Actually I had planned to add an interociter to one of my In Another World builds, then this came up. :laugh:
Who would have thought?

Back