• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal.

ausf

Master at Arms
It's finally in my mitts!

h99c2d00.jpg

A lot of small parts, brings me back to the countless roadwheels.

Nah.

The actual design of the interiors and the exteriors wouldn't fit, it's bigger on the inside, same as the Moonbus. Kubrick was a nut for detail, but didn't let actual physical space get in the way of his vision.

There are AM companies with PE interior stuff in the works, but I'm plowing through this full speed. If I start thinking about lighting, etc, it'll end up in the unfinished pile.

The huge filming model had no lights or interior, so neither will this. OOB all the way...

That is neat! I forgot that Kubrick directed this, as he also directed Full Metal Jacket (amongst others) This was his finest, though

Finally got back to this.

I shelved it while amassing ref material, then got stuck in the weeds planning all the corrections.

With the new, super detailed kit coming out, the idea that this'll be displayed hanging out of sight anyway and that I desperately need something in the win column, I decided to just plow ahead.

I cockpit and wind (space) screen were wildly inaccurate, but I'm not going any further than I where I left it. I made a pattern to vacuform a properly pitched screen, for some reason they went vertical on the kit which isn't even remotely close to the filming model. I was having a hard time getting a good pull previously, but got lucky of the first try now, a guess that's a sign I should be doing this now.

h2e59ad5.jpg

Second was lack of detail on the outside front deck. There are ribs and a lip that I cut a glued using strip stock:

h1462c17.jpg

Here's a test fit of the windscreen angle:

h522de3d.jpg

And finally, I originally was going to go nuts with the interior, but I decided to just solder together the Paragrafix PE and plow ahead. There are simple chairs and a box with detail. I'm not sure I'm going to spend too much time on it, originally I was going to sculpt a 1/144 Poole and Bowman and toss in a few LEDs

h6ca0a5c.jpg

Just some cleaning up here and I have to work out the window frame, but otherwise it should be straightforward after the sphere is closed up.

Thanks guys.

Ian, it's been out since the beginning of the year. It's the first Discovery in styrene to date. I think it'll be about 3 feet long, I forget since it's been shelved.

Moebius is importing a super detailed, correct resin and styrene kit from Japan relatively soon that'll dwarf this one. That's why I'm just going to stick this one together as it stand without all the fussing over it.

If I remember correctly, this is about 40 inches long when done. The other one Jeff is referring to is 96 inches long. I saw the prototype of that one at Wonderfest and command module is about 7 inches in diameter and it is about 63 inches long.

Here is the info on that one.

hfb42b21_2018-10-10.jpg

hd0f1804.jpg

h2e29be1.jpg

Great pics Paul. I also saw that same 96" model at the San Diego Comicon where they had it displayed as well.

Back