• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Old Tamiya Universal Carrier MK II

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
Since I am trying to build as many of these older kits as I can within the next month or so, I started my next one - the Tamiya British Universal Carrier MK II. So far it is coming along nicely. I'm not sure if I will use the Tamiya figures with this one since all of the faces look the same on their older figures. I'll figure that out when the time comes, I guess.

These photos are from yesterday. I am a bit further along in the construction process, but I have to charge up the battery to my camera, so I'll post those later.

100_1175.JPG

100_1176.JPG

100_1177.JPG

100_1178.JPG

100_1179.JPG

100_1181.JPG

100_1182.JPG

100_1183.JPG

100_1184.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

I remember this old kit so well. When I first saw Tamiya kits in 'Beatties' in Liverpool it was £7.00 mind you that was 1979 !!

Ian.

The good thing about these older Tamiya kits is that they are decent kits with a low parts count compared today's releases and if care is taken when building them, the result can be quite nice.

Once the wind dies down a bit so I can spray the interior a bit, I will get more work done on this. There are a few parts that need to be added, but if I do that before painting parts of the interior, I won't be able to reach them when I paint the whole model. I think the wind should be better this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
James

Well, I spray painted some of this model so I can start getting some smaller parts put in the back area of this and also so I can finish up the front interior. First I sprayed it with Krylon OD then Khaki. The Khaki covered heavier than I had anticipated, so the shadowy effect I was wanting did not happen. Once dry, I painted the Khaki parts with Faded Khaki. Now it is ready for the radio and other stuff.

100_1235.JPG

100_1236.JPG

100_1237.JPG

100_1238.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

Looking good there James. BEWARE the tracks though as they might be quite tight and break some time AFTER you get them on.

Cheers.

Looking good there James. BEWARE the tracks though as they might be quite tight and break some time AFTER you get them on.

Cheers.

Thanks for the heads up about the tracks. I remember seeing something years ago about using a piece of thread to provide additional support at the join site. If it doesn't stand out too much I might try that.

Cheers,
James

I've been spending most of my modeling time this week working on the German halftrack, but I did a bit on the Universal Carrier. After looking at it for a while, it just seemed too light for me, so I hit the sides and back with a spray of OD and then drybrushed the faded tan so it would build up in gradual layers. The rivets show up better this way than they were before I repainted.

100_1278.JPG

100_1279.JPG

The lighting when I took the photos was quite bright, so the paint looks lighter than it really is.

Cheers,
James

I've been spending most of my modeling time this week working on the German halftrack, but I did a bit on the Universal Carrier. After looking at it for a while, it just seemed too light for me, so I hit the sides and back with a spray of OD and then drybrushed the faded tan so it would build up in gradual layers. The rivets show up better this way than they were before I repainted.

100_1278.JPG

100_1279.JPG

The lighting when I took the photos was quite bright, so the paint looks lighter than it really is.

Cheers,
James

Looking very nice there James. I always like watching your builds progress.

When I warned about the tracks breaking after the build was finished I should have mentioned that mine broke in areas away from the joint. I think my tracks were simply too short; I was able to get them on okay but after some time the tension got to be too much and they came apart. When I build the rest of my Tamiya Universal Carriers I'll add ome extra track from another kit to their track runs in order to remove any tension on t he tracks.

Good luck and cheers

Thanks, Guys.

I haven't been able to work on this nor the halftrack for a while. It will still be another week or two before I can get back tot he workbench. Once I do, I hope to get this and the halftrack done at least by the end of August.

Cheers,
James

Back