• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dutch Farm Lady

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
This figure was a bit out of my comfort zone of Vietnam and Modern Figures, but I wanted to build and paint something special for my wife for her birthday. A while back, Alex from Masterbox had sent me kit MB3209 Napoleon's Red Lancer in which the farm lady was one of the figures in the two figure kit. Since my wife likes farming and gardening and does have some Dutch ancestry, I though it would be a nice to build a figure vignette featuring the Dutch farm lady and some farm animals. The real challenge of this project was to build and paint the various parts without my wife noticing what I was doing. There were a couple of times when she walked by and I thought for sure she must have seen what I was working on, but when I presented this to her for her birthday, she said the didn't even notice me working on any of it. She thought I was working on the Tet Offensive diorama I have been working on. So the surprise was a good one.

Like I said, the figure is from Masterbox. I painted it in acrylics. Since I am used to painting weather beaten faces of men in combat, painting a more delicate and paler face while also trying to maintain secrecy was a slight challenge and the face may not have turned out as well as most of the faces I have painted, but I think it still turned out fairly well. The following pictures really do not do it justice. The animals are from Mantis Miniatures. There are two cats which are painted to look like two of our barn cats adding a personalized touch to the scene along with there being a goose and a hen with babies under her wing. We don't have any geese, but we do have chickens so my wife liked that aspect, too. The boxes of vegetables are from Verlinden.

Here are some pictures of the figure, animals, and vignette. There are no in-progress pictures as I was trying to maintain the secrecy of this project so it would be a surprise.

100_8524.JPG

100_8525.JPG

100_8526.JPG

100_8527.JPG

100_8528.JPG

100_8529.JPG

100_8530.JPG

100_8531.JPG

100_8532.JPG

100_8535.JPG

100_8537.JPG

100_8538.JPG

100_8539.JPG

100_8541.JPG

100_8542.JPG

100_8543.JPG

100_8544.JPG

100_8547.JPG

This turned out to be a really good birthday present that my wife really enjoys and likes. Not sure how it would stand up against diamonds or something like that, but this year it was a winner. :)

Cheers,
James

Thanks, guys.

It was a pretty fun build and a nice change of pace. It probably would have been more enjoyable if I didn't have to be secretive while making it. It was also nice to make something more colorful than the drab military colors I usually paint.

Cheers,
James

Now that's a change in venue for you James, Great work Buddy! It's always good to change things up a bit, recon I aughta do some of it myself, HA! Great color Bro, fine work.

Cheers, Ski.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, Ski, this was definitely a change of venue from my normal Vietnam subjects. Now that I know my wife likes stuff like this I am sure there will be more of these in the future.

Cheers,
James

Back