• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Brit in Canuckstan

Hello all, thought I'd better drop in here and say hi. I'm a 56 year-old Brit (from Manchester) but have lived in western Canada for the last 23 years
cold.gif

I've been building models since I discovered IPMS at the age of 13, and grew up on a steady diet of Airfix/Frog/Matchbox kits. 1/72 aircraft are my favored scale/subject but I do build in other scales and genres. Still learning, still screwing up lots, still enjoying the hobby
thumbs.png

Looking forward to being a part of your community.

Welcome Mike. Always glad to have another Canuck on board. :drinks

Despite my Avatar I live in the BC interior.

Hi Mike. guess we have not been introduced yet but I would guess from your post that we'll be compatible .

I think you might have left out the Monograms from your list of models.

and yes, still messing up plastic with great regularity .

After a better look at you avatar, I just realized what it was. Not used to seeing Tintin anymore :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Howzit Mike Yep its "That DAMN EFRICAN SAVAGE" here I also love the true scale 1/72 and I think you forgot ESCI models and maybe Italeri also. :facepalm hehehe welcome to my favourite loony bin (y)

Maybe all this Northern mojo will get the Cup back where it belongs...Montreal. :D

I'm from NY, but have been following the Habs since Dryden was a rookie (I was 6).

Is Strangeways a nod to 007?

Welcome Mike, I hope to see more of your work soon (not that my wallet can take it).

-Jeff

Hi Mike. guess we have not been introduced yet but I would guess from your post that we'll be compatible .

I think you might have left out the Monograms from your list of models.

Thanks Christian; another 1/72 modeller then?
thumbs.png

Actually, growing up in the UK we rarely saw Monogram kits in the stores until much later. It was mostly the UK brands I mentioned, and as SA Dave correctly surmised, some of the other European makers: Esci, Italeri (although they were 'Italaeri' with an extra 'a' in those days) and Heller mostly.

Is Strangeways a nod to 007?

Welcome Mike, I hope to see more of your work soon (not that my wallet can take it).

Thanks Jeff. Strangeways is actually an area of Manchester famous for a) its prison and b) Boddingtons Brewery; it's the latter my moniker was chosen for ;) I hear you about the wallet issue. I'm now considering getting a 1/24 Airfix Stuka after seeing Joe's thread – a kit/subject/scale I previously had zero interest in :facepalm

Welcome aboard. Its a fun group here. Have a look at the Call to Action III campaign going on.
James from up in Cool Pool.

Well of course you're a Manc, no other reason to call y'self after a well known local brewery (and prison). Welcome, Mike, from the Scouser down in NZ !!

:drinks :drinks :drinks

Ian.

I hear you about the wallet issue. I'm now considering getting a 1/24 Airfix Stuka after seeing Joe's thread – a kit/subject/scale I previously had zero interest in :facepalm

You're not joking. The high % of inspiring builders here is astonishing. It's not like it's only a handful of builders... The median skill level here is higher than any other place I've visited, but at the same time it's also been one of the more welcoming and laid back groups I've had the pleasure of joining.

Lots of opportunities for a scrub like me who's just getting back into the hobby again after 20+ years (only been back in it for about a year) to pick up some tips and ideas. You wouldn't be the first one to get inspired by these guys to try something outside of your norm...I've got a couple pieces of armor in the closet (something I've had 0 interest in before), and am contemplating a ship build in the spring. :blink

Welcome aboard Mike. :drinks

Have no fear, I'm the IT guy around here and I can speak Canadian eh?
(I Watched Strange Brew in the theater when it came out, beaut eh?)

Welcome aboard Mike. :drinks

Have no fear, I'm the IT guy around here and I can speak Canadian eh?
(I Watched Strange Brew in the theater when it came out, beaut eh?)

You'll also have to brush up on your Mancunian.

Greeting from another MA'er in the Cool Pool.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks for the welcome, guys (y)

Welcome Mike. Always glad to have another Canuck on board. :drinks

Despite my Avatar I live in the BC interior.

Thanks Dave. Where in BC? I'm in Calgary, BTW. Are you a Jets fan, or do you just like the logo? :)

I am in Vernon BC. Been here almost 12 years now and loving every minute of it. Moved here from Winnipeg and I am a die hard Jets fan.

BTW I'm just a few years younger than you and also had a steady diet of Airfix kits as a kid and still build mostly 1/72 scale.

Welcome Mike!

I'm on the other side of the country, Darmouth, NS. It doesn't get as cold out this way but it is a lot more humid and damp!!

Look forward to your work!

Welcome aboard Mike,

A better bunch of guys you won't find anywhere! A good place to be a part of!

Bob

Back