• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I'm jumping back into the hobby after a long time!

NSX_Guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Well, it's been a harried couple of years since the model table and I have had a chance to cross paths, but I think I've now jumped back in with both feet. My primary love is modern race/sports cars (as you can see with the username), but my first passion was always aircraft.

I took my hiatus in late 2007 when my girlfriend(now wife of 6 and 1/2 years) moved into our new house. The basement was unfinished, which was perfect for my plans. Add to that job promotions and increased responsibility something had to give; unfortunately it was a hobby.

I finished the basement including my 10'x10' hobby room just in time for her to get pregnant. What can I say, I have other hobbies too. We had our first daughter in June of 2011 which obviously caused a whirlwind of activity and fun. January 2014 brought our second (and final!) little girl home. We (my wife) noticed our house was getting a little small for two baby girls, one wife, one obedient (female) dog and myself.

We bought another house, this time with a fully finished basement including a pre-finished 10'x10' hobby room (read: old bedroom)off to one side. How lucky I am to be able to have these things.

With the impending long northern winter, I was able to put some time aside about four weeks ago to pull a couple of unfinished kits from the shelf and start building. First was a 1/48 scale F-14A from Hasegawa which I started in 1999 and hadn't finished. Secondly was a Corvette Grand Sport offered by Accurate Miniatures. The further I get into both of these kits makes me realize I should have started with something from Tamiya and built it OOB.

What can I say, it's like riding a bike. I fell back in love, even though the F-14 is a somewhat *challenging* kit to say the least. Stemming from that has been a flurry of activities, including new paints and a new airbrush. The old Aztek wasn't quite cutting it anymore. Lately every night I have been quietly going down into the basement after the kids are asleep and working away for several hours and leaving my wife to do her thing upstairs, whatever that may be.

One final thing is a big thanks to fellow board member Scrodes has been goading me into building again since I put the airbrush down all those years ago to pick it back up. Sometimes gently, sometimes not.

Thanks for taking the time to read this novel, and I will start a thread when I finish the F-14 and move onto the next project on my bench!

Welcome to our little corner of the net. Looking forward to seeing your builds. Congrats on the 2 young ones marriage, promotion , new house etc. Been a busy few years :)
James

Welcome to the forum NSX!

I was off from the hobby myself for about 20 years. Over that time many things changed, but kept my stash and tools.

Several years ago I started hanging out at a local hobby shop and finally got the urge to build again. Over all that time my building skills and tools improved greatly, painting - "not so much".

That is one of the wonderful things about this forum! Th knowledge and help I have obtained from the folks on here have helped a huge amount! (y) :D

Welcome aboard, gotta tell ya, had a hard time vetting your account. I googled your email and user name and didn't find anything modeling related, thought the spambots had taken a new strategy for a bit. Looking forward to your reboot!

:popcorn

Welcome back! Look forward to seeing your work.

Terry (y)

Thanks, I look forward to being critiqued by the masters!

Welcome to our little corner of the net. Looking forward to seeing your builds. Congrats on the 2 young ones marriage, promotion , new house etc. Been a busy few years :)
James

Thank you, sometimes it feels like it was a long set-up for a decent punch line. Things seem to be falling into place.

Welcome back. Hope to see some of your work soon. :drinks

I hope to share it too! Thanks.

Welcome back seems we all leave it for a while only to be pulled back to the dark side :geek

Like I said, I love aircraft and cars. I feel spoiled.

Welcome to the forum NSX!

I was off from the hobby myself for about 20 years. Over that time many things changed, but kept my stash and tools.

Several years ago I started hanging out at a local hobby shop and finally got the urge to build again. Over all that time my building skills and tools improved greatly, painting - "not so much".

That is one of the wonderful things about this forum! Th knowledge and help I have obtained from the folks on here have helped a huge amount! (y) :D

The knowledge is most certainly here, I just hope to absord a little bit of it.

:drinks welcome to the alliance!
//Mats

Thanks!

Welcome aboard, gotta tell ya, had a hard time vetting your account. I googled your email and user name and didn't find anything modeling related, thought the spambots had taken a new strategy for a bit. Looking forward to your reboot!

:popcorn

Thanks for the welcome. My old screen name on most of the forums was "GTi_guy", but I've since moved a bit upmarket.

Here is an old archived post from the model that was on my table before I put the boxes away..

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t668425-mitsu_evo_vii_ralleye_monte_carlo_marlboro_scheme.html

And a picture of the Tamiya 1/48 scale P-51 with True details resin cockpit and wheels.

Tamiya kit 241214 - Mercedes CLK-GTR Original Teille

As a point of note, that kit, while one of my favorite kits and crowning achievements is part of the reason I stopped working on models in the first place. I put hundreds of hours (and dollars) into this kit, which started off a lot of fun, but ended really draining.

Subaru(s) (Subarii??)

Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale - Tamiya Ferrari 360 Modena with a HORRIBLE trans-kit

Finally, a partial group shot taken from that aforementioned first condo way back in 2007.

Welcome to our comunity...very nice cars...congratulations :good:

:drinks

Luiz

Thanks! I look forward to spending 50% of my modelling time right on the site here, with the remaining 50% split between research and actually building!

Yep, that passed the test! Look at that shine on that thing!! :notworthy

So whacha gonna start on first?

I've started back on Hasegawa's, ummm challenging 1/48 F-14 with TARPS Pod.

Y0yeMG4.jpg

N5xBgKN.jpg

hr7pIi5.jpg

Decals by Cartograf, fit of the kit courtesy of Satan himself.

Looking really good, hope the glosscoat will settle those decals down. :zen

That's what I'm hoping too. I put a thin coat of Alclad gloss down and cured it for a few days, and have been fighting with set/sol ever since.

After the plane is completely decaled, I plan on another coat of gloss and finally a dull coat before I add the final weathering.

One final thing is a big thanks to fellow board member Scrodes has been goading me into building again since I put the airbrush down all those years ago to pick it back up. Sometimes gently, sometimes not.

I'm recruiting my own small army around here. Well actually it's a pyramid scheme because Chuck recruited me - so I guess we're all his minions.

Back