• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Good morning/afternoon/evening, all!

Mainly28s

My name is Olaf Meys, and I'm (sort of) returning to modelling. I used to build, mainly 1:35th armour and 1:32nd aircraft, from my early teens to my mid-twenties, then kind of changed focus to wargaming. I sort of dropped out of model-building, apart from terrain features, for a while, and returned to modelling in the early Noughties, when I started building masters for resin vehicles for a wargames company in 1:56th scale (an SdKfz 250 B, which was used as the base for most of the actual versions, and a Hetzer are among the ones I did).
Unfortunately I had a mild stroke a few years ago, and found myself unable to do much. I've now reached a point where I want to get back into serious modelling. As odd as it may seem, I've already made a strong start- I've made two new masters in 1:56th. The first is a Daimler AC3D armoured car, and the second is a sci-fi light AC. Both are for independent casters, who will end up doing these as limited-run kits. The attached pic is the sci-fi AC (the client will be calling it the "Rascal"), with a 28mm figure for scale.

With regards to this forum- my interest is now 1:48th aircraft, specifically the 1930-ish to 1945-ish period. I know I'm nowhere near the level of detail and accuracy that other members of the forum can achieve, and while I'm jealous, I'm not going to break my head over not getting to that level. I'll be using that as incentive to try harder!

As I haven't actually built a kit in absolute ages, it's something I'm kind of looking forward to, and dreading at the same time, as I still struggle a little with fine details. The first few items I have are a Ju 88 (I think I'll need a new cockpit for that one, as it's mirrored and very poorly done), a Bf 110 G, an Me 109 G-10/G-14, a Bf 108 and a couple of other bits and pieces. I still need to decide which one to start with! Suggestions, anyone?

h064a57d.JPG

Welcome to the forum/madhouse Olaf!

Glad you join us here, and that you are getting back in the hobby again (y)

I'm mostly building armour in 1/35 but lately airplanes in 1/32 has been added to the stash and some in 1/48.

It's a whole new thing for me so i think we all can learn from eachother :D

Enjoy the forum and feel free to ask questions if you need help :drinks

//Mats

Welcome Olaf. Neat little car there. I think build what ever catches your fancy as it will make it easier to get back into the hobby. There are some real Bf 109 aficionados here so I am sure you can get all the help you could want. Biggest thing is to have fun. Looking forward to seeing your work. Actually the Wings over the Reich campaign still has some months left in it, you could get your first ribbon if you wanted.
James

Welcome Olaf.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work and hearing what you have to say. B)

Welcome again Olaf, sorry for the bumpy registration but we got you in (y)

I like that little German officer, reminds me of the guy in the begining of Kelly's "Heros" :soldier

Great that you've recovered from your stroke and getting back to modeling, take your time and build what you like. don't worry about trying to build for others.

Looking forward to your stuff mate! :popcorn

Olaf, since you can scratchbuild, why worry what others do with kits? That is always a wonderful thing to see people use skills and imagination and not simply rely on ready made items.

Hopefully, you'll find this a place where you go as far as you wish. Want more information for accuracy? Ask!

The most important thing is to have fun.

Regards,

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone.

Hmmm. My thing is just that I see the great quality of work delivered by everyone, and I know I can't do anything remotely as good. Yes, I know scratching is different, but somehow mine never look as good as I perceive others' work. Just me being silly, I guess.

Anyhow, I've been browsing through some threads, and will probably sign up for some builds, but I fear I'll never be as prolific or fast as many people here. That said, I regard each model I build and each figure I paint as a minor victory, and try to improve with each one.

Welcome again Olaf, sorry for the bumpy registration but we got you in (y)

I like that little German officer, reminds me of the guy in the begining of Kelly's "Heros" :soldier

Great that you've recovered from your stroke and getting back to modeling, take your time and build what you like. don't worry about trying to build for others.
No worries- I'm here, so that's all sorted.
Yes, he does rather look like the transport officer, doesn't he? And yes, it is a movie I've watched countless times- I love the "Tiger" tanks.

Oh, and the avatar picture is my grandfather. No intent to offend anyone. He served in 1/Gebirgsjaeger as a cook from '39 to '45 in an artillery battery- I use this as my avatar on most internet forums I join, as I do with my handle (Mainly28s).
The "Mainly 28s" bit comes from my preference for 28mm figures, which, according to calculations by a number of people and companies I support, equates to 1:56th, so I put up my website as a review page, which has unfortunately fallen a little out of date.

Welcome along Olaf. Great folks here, helpful, knowledgeable and good fun !!

Ian

Welcome Olaf! I love that you can post your grandfather's picture as your avatar.

As for your work, I know how you feel. I'm a strictly out-of-the-box kinda guy when it comes to models and I don't come close to the quality of all the masters on here. Still, I have fun, I learn at my own pace and I revel in my hobby. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Back