• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hello everyone!

A

alcm_b

Time to introduce myself, I suppose :)
I build models starting from childhood days, when I was a great fan of airlpanes: :pilot
I even attended our local flight school, where we'd been given lots of theory, and there was some practice as well :ro:
, the practice was mostly skydiving, however: :soldier

Then I started building 1/35 models too: :soldier

But still 1/48 is my favorite.

And then for some time I even worked in a company, that builds quite large-scale ready-made models for airline companies to put them in their offices and enjoy. :yipee

I made 'original master' models there, not sure, how it is properly named. That's when you photocopy drawings in suitable scale, then you take plain sheets of plastic and make a scale model from them using files, saws, calipers and tools like that. When the model is ready, you make molds and it is all put into production.

That was quite a cool job for a student. Since those times I'm, sort of, not afraid of anything regarding files, saws and sheets of plastic. :zen

That's it. I tried to make it short, honestly :laugh: Nice to meet all of you. Photos of the stuff are coming soon.

--
Egor

Hi Egor and Welcome as an active member of MA! :drinks

Scratchbuilding is one of my favourite things, so i look forward to see your work :popcorn

//Mats

Welcome aboard Egor, really looking forward to photos of what you've done :pilot

Tell me about your handle here, ALCM, I use to load them on B52s up in Grand Forks ND.

This one is 1/35: Russian 120mm mortar, Eastern front, WWII.

Hi Matt, scratchbuilding is fun but honestly it is soooo time consuming :) That's something from good old days for me now, I'll search the boxes for that stuff to take a picture.

Tell me about your handle here, ALCM, I use to load them on B52s up in Grand Forks ND.

Wow, looks like it's the first time I find someone, who knows, what's ALCM. Cruise missile, yeah :)

I know it only from books, never ever saw the actual thing. It's a very complex piece of weaponry, with its own navigation system, with turbofan engine and wings. So, you met it, so to say, in the wild. Hats off. Did you fly bombers, or you were a part of ground crew?

Me, I simply use the word 'alcm-b' for signing up on various sites - it is never taken by someone else, very convenient. :D

I know it only from books, never ever saw the actual thing. It's a very complex piece of weaponry, with its own navigation system, with turbofan engine and wings. So, you met it, so to say, in the wild. Hats off. Did you fly bombers, or you were a part of ground crew?

I was a bomb loader back in 1983 when the active alert missiles first came on line. Back then we loaded 12 ALCM, 6 SRAM on the rotary launcher and two B61 gravity bombs (the big ones). All the missiles were used to get the two big boys on target. Our crew was the first to be certified for the ALCM and we loaded the first alert bird at GFAFB. You could say I got intimate with them, had to lay on top of them to do one of the chores during the load process. :blink

We didn't load the missile on the pylon, that was done at the WSA and then we would load the entire pylon package on the B52, just like with the rotary launcher and the B61 clip.

Hope a picture is worth a thousand words cause I ain't got a clue what's written on that site.

http://www.afwing.com/aircraft/boeing-b52-stratofortress-part2_4.html

but the photos pretty much shows what i'm talking about, except no B61s there.

Welcome Egor! Those are some fine looking figures, what are you working on now? (y) :drinks

Woo-hoo, unbelievable. You are a really lucky man, to take part in B-52 operations. Doesn't look ordinary to me, at all. Okaay, now I know whom to ask about USAF :)

Seems that missile body was designed to be put in that rotary launcher, they form a very compact package. Great photos indeed.

There was a rotary launcher for the B52 but it took up the entire bomb bay and since the mission back then was purely nuke, it defeated the purpose. Remember that the ALCM was designed with the B1 in mind.

I'm pretty good with USAF from about 30 years ago (zonk! :bang head ) but not the modern stuff, lots have changed. The ALCM I loaded had the internal guidance as you mentioned. Once the missile was loaded we had to tell it where it was, we had Lon/Lat concordance for each alert pad location and we would have to key those numbers in the computer. Once the missile accepted it, it knew where in the world it was and would track it as long as it had power. Pretty amazing technology 30 years ago that we take for granted now.

SO...:nopics

:mpup

Hi Mike! I have a 1/144 A319 of Austrian Airlines, that is in progress. In real life it looks like this:
2267284.jpg

What's nice about it, there's no need to make it dirty - just paint it white and blue, put on decals and it's done :laugh:

Hello, Egor- glad to have you on board! Nice vignette- and that's some colorful livery on your latest project- cheers!

chuk

Welcome aboard, Egor - very friendly place here, packed with good folks. :coolio .

Ian

Back