• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

Rhino

Super Moderator
h8745d6b.JPG

It all began back in 1860...........

The first installment of 1/700 waterline Civil War ship models begins with CSS Alabama (I started Her in 1990, when balsa wood was the medium of choice.) and a spank-brand-new styrene plastic waterline CSS Florida Master. 3D printed cannons are on the way! I super excited about the possibilities!

The laser etching POS is running again! I hope to etch both decks with the proper wood plank details.

I have a source for turned brass masts in communist China :sick:
and Izzet Levi of Alliance Modelworks makes P/E rigging, but he's completely blown me off so far. :smack

Damn the MARTINIS! Full speed ahead!!

h88fead5.jpg

A new technique for shaping has been found! I find the picture of whatever vessel I'm working on, open it on my iPhone, increase to the proper scale, and put the hull on the iPhone screen to check dimensions.
haa18a82.JPG

Railings & bowsprit progress.

I figure since Alabama (#290) was built at John Laird & Son's yard at Birkenhead in 1962 and Florida was built by William C. Miller & Sons just across the river at Liverpool the deck layouts will be similar, excepting Florida (Oreto) had to smokestacks and raked masts. references for Florida are scanty.

In 1990 I bought some Thoroughbred Models white metal guns. 9' Dahlgren pivot guns and 32-pound cannons on carriages.
Back in the days when I only made one scratch-built ship. Alas, they are 1/600 scale and are much to cumbersome for either Raider. I'm still mulling the guns over...... :hmmm :idonno

he13c565.JPG

from the modified picture to 1/700 scale drawing, you can plainly see I need to start over.
Maybe the 1/600 scale guns will fit. ??

hbe019a8.JPG

CSS Alabama deck plan scaled to 1/700 and applied to .040 evergreen layers. This speeds the Mastering process so, that it feels like cheating. It also provides the ability to pre-drill the masts, vents and mark other deck details to be added to the cast kit parts. EVERY vessel with a 3-view deck plan drawing can quickly become a TLAR Models victim!!

hb39f23e.JPG

Alabama's hull after just a few hours. CSS Florida is coming along swell!

hdf6ab7b.JPG

3-D printed 9" Dahlgren smooth-bore guns arrived today. At this price there's no good reason to mold & cast them.
No 1/700 scale 8" Blakely rifled gun was found, so just a small inaccuracy in the CSS Alabama kit. The 32-pound guns look stellar as well.

Thanks for looking in!

Last edited by a moderator:
h436c65a.JPG

CSS Alabama went for a swim last night to soak off the reference deck plan paper. In truth, She went to the bottom like a stone. NO WHERE near Cherbourg, France! The plan is to laser etch the wood deck texture. Then two, laser the deck details on another piece of .020 painted plastic, cut them out and add them to the Master. Masts & guns have arrived. Time to bring Captain Semmes' command to fruition! :salute
Or at very least to the molding stage. I know! Skytrex has the 1/600 metal model for $12.00. I forge ahead in 1/700 scale nevertheless! :bang head
Damn the Martinis! Full speed ahead!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF1s2hMpWqU&list=PLoCWp2ojyd4i07OunMfzqisPVz2ity7xp&index=3&t=0s

Thanks for looking in!

Back