• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell Viking ship

jagmkx

Great kit and enjoyable build. Fortunately the rigging was simple as this is my first 'wood' ship.

he58e9b2.jpg

hf8bec36.jpg

ha93d932.jpg

Whoa! This looks awesome! On a scale of 1-10 how difficult was this kit? It seems fairly straight forward but sometimes those kits are the trickiest.

Thanks to many for the positive remarks on the Viking ship. It was a 3 on a difficulty build scale of 1-10. The most attention was
planning and testing the wood color variances and toning/shading progression. The vac u form sail (two are supplied) was the greatest concern as I have seen a few sails done in paper and cloth and looked to that as the standard. Trial and error on the vac u form spare led me to the final method. I think these sails were typically composed of wool? (not the historic expert). The decks were reportedly pine and the hulls oak, but there are many variances on that wood so I tried to simply imply differences. The instructions, while ok could be much better. The wood grain texture on the styrene was excellent. This model is a gift for a good pal who is a Minnesota Vikings fan as well as of Viking heritage so the shields are subtly done in the team colors. If I build another, I will be more decorative and colorful with the shields and try to add a green (algae color wash) to the deeper recesses of the hull planking. The six small 'hull davits' have weak mounting points that are problematic. I think there should be 'bullocks' (not educated yet on ship rigging nomenclature) on most of the sail 'control lines'. But once you start the additional detail quest, I would really like to build a Viking ship that can exhibit the what I believe are typical ornate carvings on the bow and stern 'horns'. (?) I'm very pleased to be a newbie to this group. I have some other ship builds (and many other genres) to post soon but perhaps the best would be to figure out how to create an album? Thanks

h0bac22d.jpg

ha468b2d.jpg

hbf3cb79.jpg

h299600f.jpg

Very nice I will look forward to your research on the subject ..... And since My family is of Viking decent .... do you need my address so you can send my gift ....??? I'll be waiting your next build .... :popcorn

Gorgeous boats Inserted them for you so they showed up better. Especially like the MTB (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Back