• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 Revell USS CONSTITUTION on the slipways (wip)

Hippy Ed

I've been fondling this old kit the past couple of days and have spent a good 2-3 hours checking for ejector pin marks & cleaning up the flash and decided, why not :skipper It's gonna be a long haul project to be sure but, this will eventually get done :evil: I'm definately takin' my time on this one...

hec4b65a.JPG

hea5e94a.JPG

hbe1f556.JPG

h7316877.JPG

My 1 yr old grand-nephew Jonathan, pic taken about 4 months ago

And so, it begins...

haf97ff8.jpg

h2672c79.jpg

hb07f158.jpg

h18b6219.jpg

he14ffb6.jpg

hedc5eed.jpg

All under the watchful eye of Capt. Psycho
hbda158f.jpg

Now lemme just say this, Psycho is a big help to me when building... He keeps the dreaded Carpet Monster at bay when he's on duty...

And the gun deck hatches got some attention today...

hf87df10.jpg

hc08baaa.jpg

h16a99f1.jpg

hbe03c60.jpg

Lot of ejector pin marks on them but, they are on the inside so, not too worried about them.
Thanks for looking.

I have started a couple of these through the ages. The injector pins area pain for sure but these old kits really are good and you can go wild super detailing given the size. Not sure how invovled you'd like to get but scrapping the molded componets of the rigging and actually rigging the ship proper can make a huge difference in the finished model. I have the 1/96 Cutty Sark and plan on doing just that.
Gosh...now I want another one of these old Constitution kits, I love it!

Tim

Tim

I have started a couple of these through the ages. The injector pins area pain for sure but these old kits really are good and you can go wild super detailing given the size. Not sure how invovled you'd like to get but scrapping the molded componets of the rigging and actually rigging the ship proper can make a huge difference in the finished model. I have the 1/96 Cutty Sark and plan on doing just that.
Gosh...now I want another one of these old Constitution kits, I love it!

Tim

Tim

I did the 1/96 Cutty Sark back in 1976 w/out instructions. Took me 8-9 months to build but, I built it. Tossed the rigging & the vac sails. I may do the same with this one. Not quite sure yet. :unsure: We shall see :captain
There's definately room for detailed improvements on these old kits...

I built this kit back about 45 years ago for some friends of my parents. They wanted it in full sail and it was huge and impressive with the sails all hanging out. This was back before they ruined the sails by making them look like burlap.

UGH! :facepalm

If I were to ever build one again it would be the plain rigged version without sails. While the sails are impressive, they block the view so much it is hard to see the detail on the ship.

It will interesting to see your take and process on this build. :popcorn

I built this kit back about 45 years ago for some friends of my parents. They wanted it in full sail and it was huge and impressive with the sails all hanging out. This was back before they ruined the sails by making them look like burlap.

UGH! :facepalm

If I were to ever build one again it would be the plain rigged version without sails. While the sails are impressive, they block the view so much it is hard to see the detail on the ship.

It will interesting to see your take and process on this build. :popcorn

Thanks Paul. You made a couple valid points here. With full sails it is impressive but, hides alot of the details. I'm thinking of doing this with some furled sails & unfurled....

A lot of work Watching with interest. Saw one of these done eons ago with copper tape for the plates on the hull.
James

Back