• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 B 17G if Luft 46 came true?

chrispisme

So while sorting through my stash I came across a kit still in the cellophane that should have been long gone (poor organization I guess) a 1/48 Revell/Monogram B-17G....I immediately hit on an idea (well, that's what I'm calling it, your opinion may vary) to re-engine the kit and work it over a bit as if it had to fight it's way to Germany and back in the late 40's early 50's...remember that turbine A-26 and A-61?
Well, here's one engine finished casting and test fitting...

h65ca347.JPG

Although, I'd have to make 4 engines and update the wings with fences and winglets and such.
Ok. if anyone can talk me out of it, youve got 24 hours!

I've taken the plunge...such as it is.
The nacelles have been cut back to the outflow vents and fitting the "engines" has begun. To be truly believable removing all the weight of the radial engines and periphery would require a lengthening of the fuselage in front of the wing or a serious relocation of the c/g via weight re-distribution...I'm implying that second option here. I also wanted to put new props on but clearance may be an issue.
Fitting out;
hf3c4d70.JPG

h872f744.JPG

Damn the Nartini's! hahahaha Can you tell I've been drinking?!
I am past the point of return, the radial nacelles have all been shortened and casting is underway to install the new engines...man I hope they fit!
hb357a94.JPG

I will paint the insides of the wings/ gear bays tomorrow and begin assembly.
Thanks for looking in and comments!

Moving right along...well not really but progress is progress right?
I've opted for a more modern interior for the flight deck, going with (not 50) various shades of gray (around 4-5) with zinc chromate primer throughout the rest of the fuselage. Going with a suggestion by Errains it only made sense to pressurize and streamline the airframe, in doing so I will be fairing over the top, bottom and both waste guns. I'll add some heavy hitters in the tail stinger (remotely aimed and operated from the crew chief position) I'd really like to put a A-10 30mm canon back there but...got none. I'll keep the chin emplacement but have also deleted the cheek guns. (waste, cheek, chin...who built this thing?!) It may make more sense when I put the story down that goes with it.
Its all for fun anyway, bear with me.

hffb3576.JPG

h733547b.JPG

hf02bed3.JPG

hf4c698d.JPG

Interesting concept. Although I was also going to say that would look better of the nacelles were shortened, but I found this too late. Still, you went with that idea. Great minds think alike. Looking forward to more.

High and Pressurized...

Ha! reminds me of the blonde joke (but pasteurized) let me know if you haven't heard it! My wife is blonde and laughed at it!
Duke; indeed, I too knew the nacelles were too long as is...was? I have the fuselage closed up and the left wing engines on and faired in (don't let the small amount of filler visible in the pictures fool you, it was a big sanding job!) I also opened up the air intakes on the engines and fitted the wheels, that, so I could determine "level" and not get my engines all wall-eyed and pigeon toed. Right now it almost looks like a B-17 fitted with Merlin's

h0e5dacc.JPG

h8189634.JPG

This is just dry fitted together to get an overall idea of the final product.

h9495e48.JPG

Back