• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A (P) 61 Orb Weaver COIN ground attack

chrispisme

With the surplus of airframes left over from "The Big One" and a need for slow, tough, ease of maintenance "low tech" mud movers in the ongoing SEA conflict and, with congress at the time banning further spending on weaponry for that conflict, it was decided to experiment with upgrades to the P-61 family to A-61 standard with terrain following/low light capabilities and semi-smart weapon delivery systems (SSWEAD) the aircraft were also up-gunned and up-engined with Garrett (Honeywell) TPE 331 "dog whistles" and "saber" blade props. The aircraft were also fitted with STOL wing tips, Paralift (tm. reg.) flaperons/ spoilers, anti skid brakes and underwing hardpoints for rocket launchers, napalm, and IR/Laser glide bombs.
Wing fences were added as well (on later models, retrofitted to earlier models) to address stability concerns when loaded with external stores during turning maneuvers....and cause they looked cool.
Sticking with the ugly spider motif the aircraft was re-named "Orb Weaver" because of the deadly circle of death it could put on the ground.

Home made engines:
h6ddd46c.JPG

had5665d.JPG

added STOL wing tips
he3229ee.JPG

h4878c96.JPG

h9d01af0.JPG

Glad I looked in on this.
Great idea and highly possible if things had been different.
Frank
(y) (y)

:popcorn :drinks :popcorn :popcorn

Thanks for commenting, I do like going my own way (different drummer?) and I have wanted to try this kind of thing for a while.
Anyway, I have fitted all the big parts and am now fiddling with seams and joints. The props and spinners are just held on with tape at this point, with a little over 21g. (1 Oz) of Pb in the nose radar housing.

h9d01af0_2019-09-07.JPG

h86db3e1.JPG

h5562cc3.JPG

h2dcb292.JPG

And here I thought that kit was unbuildable. :rotf

I dig the fence on the wing, adds to the plausibility factor.

I like all the details! Those Garrett engines are TOO COOL! Fin filets for the vertical stabilizers? Split the ailerons like the A-6 maybe? :ro:

I too was thinking about fin fillets, I did sand off all the fabric effect to represent metal control surfaces....I may add a few more odd n ends here n there yet.....

And here I thought that kit was unbuildable. :rotf

I dig the fence on the wing, adds to the plausibility factor.

Hahaha no, not quite unbuildable, difficult but not impossible! I am currently shimming the clear parts in order to get a better fit. It’s obviously been designed with an open cockpit canopy because, if you try to install the canopy shut it falls through the opening!
Ah well....it’s a work in progress
Let’s see where it takes me...

Man that is one NEAT idea!!!! Your adherence to the details are what truly tops it off!!!

Man! You guys are encouraging!! Thanks
I've spent a few hours today fitting windows and doors and adding some antennas.
Kind of a tough job getting the windows into place...
I've added some shims fore and aft of the front cabin windows to get a better fit
hf9d5af6.JPG

a bit of a gap required some strip to fill in, done now.
h177a3ba.JPG

the fit was equally as poor as well at the rear cabin enclosure
h3df57f1.JPG

some finlets added as well as some antennas
h22889f0.JPG

Very cool!
If one of the Turbo-Garretts quit, lateral stability will go to hell in hand basket at low speed!
Flare chutes & chaff launchers in the stern? :hmmm
BTW, The 1/48 Black Widow is Monogram's top-selling kit of all time!
:good:

I’m thinking the rear end should have chaff and flare launchers as well....I’d like to find some multiple ejector racks for it too. But I dug through the spares box a few times and came up empty. I’ve dug some big holes in the nacelles for the exhaust tail pipes and will fit them tomorrow, hopefully.
Very cool!
If one of the Turbo-Garretts quit, lateral stability will go to hell in hand basket at low speed!
Flare chutes & chaff launchers in the stern? :hmmm
BTW, The 1/48 Black Widow is Monogram's top-selling kit of all time!
:good:

Back