• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Moose-1/8 Weta sci-fi kit -updated 9th Feb

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
:silly:
I thought I would have a go at this but I don't know if I will finish in time - if not, it should just stay on my Masters project list anyway.
I got the Ltd run, Moose kit in 1/8th scale from Weta Workshops - a multi media resin 1/8 scale collectible model of the attack robot from the movie Chappie :drool . Weta have set a challenge on their website to paint it from the movie or modify it and send us your pics, so mine will be modified slightly - that's the plan anyway.
I will also be making some ruff sketches and color plans before I commit to building and painting , so that should also be a bit of fun. :hmmm
I will do my best as I need to finish this anyway ASAP.

main_small.jpg

Sorry, I am yet to 'unbox' the monster and take photos, so stay tuned........ Photos soon, I promise. :eek:ldguy

Ian.

The Moose - modified 1/6 Weta Workshop kit -EXEMPT

What a tease! :laugh: Looking forward to it, Ian! :ro:

:ro:
Ok, tease time over.........I started 'un-boxing' the beast, and what a beast it is. :drool

Here are my first shots of my opening the package - strap in if you are interested and have not seen one of these close up!
First some shots of the built master not painted, from Weta (borrowed from there website images).
The size can be seen here with the creators from the Manufacture and paint shop team.

1540849760d7b4e5dde6e7dc4cfeea7bec907a70dc.jpg

1540849648127be99f67a8fa828fac8f5ba8876119.jpg

15408496932488d5b0e3cb7c5afd46f80b81ea1227.jpg

1540849756f9b5604f0af949d6938cb320a3beda6c.jpg

So that is what it looks like built but not painted.....pretty damn big and super impressive on the detail side of things.
OUT OF THE BOX
So here is the box on my kitchen floor with a 1/35 Tiger 1 box next to it so that the size is more apparent.
WIN_20190815_21_37_22_Pro.jpg

The side of the box gives the details -
WIN_20190815_21_41_04_Pro.jpg

A box within a box- the real box emerges.....with a bit of effort as it is heavy and a pretty tight fit. I also don't want to damage the actual model box as it is part of the collectable - this is a ltd run kit and a first edition as stamped on the box.
Number 43 0f 300 in the first edition run.

WIN_20190815_21_34_20_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190815_21_34_27_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190815_21_42_01_Pro.jpg

Some fun stuff on the outside of the box that relates to the movie.

WIN_20190815_21_42_34_Pro.jpg

Once open, you are confronted with another box of layered foam pieces but on top there is a bag with the decals and instruction sheet.
WIN_20190815_21_44_02_Pro.jpg

instructions_Pro.jpg

Each layer of foam in the box houses the different stages of multiple parts
Here is layer 1 -

WIN_20190815_21_50_46_Pro.jpg

I will look at the next layers later in the week.
Hope you are enjoying this - I know I am...i just don't have enough time.

Ian.

:ro:
Back with some more pics of the opening of each packing layer.

Top layer:

layer_1a.jpg

layer_1detail2.jpg

layer_1_detail.jpg

Above are some quick shots of Layer 1 of the foam box/ tower supplied inside the main outer white box.
Everything is packed very well with each part having superb detail - some of the best resin molding i have ever seen. The surfaces are nice and flat in appearance with no shine which is great for the paint. Everything is crisp and the bag at the top right of the layer has many small loose parts with high detail.
All pieces show that there is minimal clean-up required.
There is also a small sheet of PE as well.

Layer 2:

The long strait parts on this layer are for the edges of the base.
layer_2.jpg

layer_2_detail.jpg

Layer 3:

These parts are the main body and arms, which are molded as one piece in a set position. I was a little disappointed that at this scale they had not provided the parts molded separately so that there was a choice of position. Still good but it would have been a better alternative at large scale.

layer_3.jpg

layer_3_detail.jpg

Layer 4:

This layer is the last and the heaviest, with a solid resin molded base to properly anchor this beast and stop it from falling over.
Also on this layer are the rectangular jet pack housings, one of which I plan to modify to expose the details of the engine more. Just an idea at present dependent on how hard it will be to cut and up detail.

layer_4.jpg

Back with more in a while.

Ian.

When do you start????? :frantic :frantic :frantic :frantic

:drinks

I suspect those parts won't stay static long. :popcorn

When do you start????? :frantic :frantic :frantic :frantic

:drinks
:unsure:
This week Mike - starting to work out the final scheme and a scenario for a small dio.
This should be a lot of fun as long as i don't get to serious about it.
Ian

Now that is some packaging

Can't wait to see your magic with it! :good:

Very cool. I like it so much I'd consider getting one but then I realize I could probably never build it. Cant wait to see what you do with it though.
James

I have a little experience now with 1/5 and 1/6th scale resin and I can't even guess what shipping cost on that monster. Then add the cost of the resin and packing and WOW! I am sure it set you back a pretty penny. The good thing is that kits like that retain their value and if built right to the max degree they tend to be worth a LOT! So you can consider it an investment.

Ian, curiosity got the better of me and I had to go and look. Unfortunately I am on a buying hiatus for a while.

One thing I did notice is that it is 1/8th scale not 1/6th. As big as it is in 1/8th I would hate to pay for a 1/6th and then have a shelf big enough to put it on.

Which reminds me I have a large haul from the Nooga Nats I need to post. :facepalm

;) thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Sherman, James and HE.

I have a little experience now with 1/5 and 1/6th scale resin and I can't even guess what shipping cost on that monster. Then add the cost of the resin and packing and WOW! I am sure it set you back a pretty penny. The good thing is that kits like that retain their value and if built right to the max degree they tend to be worth a LOT! So you can consider it an investment.

In short, yeah, cost me Mega $ but there was no other way of getting it(and I had to have it!) and at least I don't live far from NZ, so postage was at a minimum. It weighed 8 kg - not sure what that is in US imperial but its heavy. It still came in cheaper than some other collectibles like the Sideshow stuff that you don't even get to build or paint. Thanks for the correction on scale. ;)
As it is a first edition of a ltd run, I see it as a rare collectible that I get to build and paint and If i hadn't ordered it quickly I would most probably have missed out.

Ian.

The Moose - modified 1/8 Weta Workshop kit -EXEMPT

I've been holing of on commenting on this....because I'm sooooo envious!

he814934.jpg

This is going be soooo BAD A$$z :ro:

That's roughly 16 Lbs. I believe

Cheaper for me. I can built it vicariously :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Back