• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Heinkel He280 V-2T in Kriegsmarine Service

Rhino

Super Moderator
Busy Hands are happy hands! Then, two, I had another idea concerning my German heroes from World War I! Humor me, OK?!
As the air war over Germany progresses east, blowing the dog-snot out of the Red Air Force, and blasting the Red Army on the Ground, Baron Freiherr Von Richtofen must choose a trusted Officer to carry the Deutsches Kreigsmarine into the new and hazardous Jet age.

With Hermann Goring cowering in a chalet in the Swiss alps, Manfred turns to his most trusted comrades for leadership and input. Ernst Udet and Werner Voss.
With DKM Graf Zepplin entering battle in the north Atlantic, and DKM Peter Strasser doing work-ups in the Baltic sea,
The more stable, slightly slower & durable HE-280 seems the best choice for demanding Jet Carrier work over the speedy, agile Me-262. The three famed fighter pilots and Admiral Karl Donitz meet to discuss who will lead the German Naval Air Force.

hdd58e0d.JPG

h6e887d5.JPG

Gonna add a tail hook, bigger vertical stabilizers & rudders, external tanks and bigger flaps.
"The three famed fighter pilots and Admiral Karl Donitz meet to Discuss" means I haven't made up my mind about who the C/O will be!
Look forward to a really cool paint job!

Model Mojo is flowing in Iowa's newest blizzard! :bang head
h64d84d9.JPG

h3780af3.JPG

h795a7e9.JPG

hef2abfc.JPG

Cockpit going forward. Rudimentary, but needed radio boxes and a fire extinguisher.

h5ac0228.JPG

I have learned new appreciation for what Chris went through with his MPM Meteor.
Note to Self: Find all RS models and sacrifice them on eBay. Weird, hard, gray plastic. Doesn't react to liquid glue well.
I've still got some PVC glue from my former job! :hmmm

It will be easy to add a tail hook to this Ship!
Thanks for looking in!

Newest blizzard ? ? ? We still have that interminable rain here :frantic

We need a ship builder :skipper

Glad to see you on this project . Not often that anyone thinks of the HE 280 and it's an RS. kit to boot. I'm not familiar with those kits.

Should be interesting :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

Cool! Looking forward to this. :popcorn

Been wondering about the RS kits as well. Too bad about the plastic. How is the fit and detail?

Not unlike other Eastern European limited-run kits, sprue gates are gigantic, ejector pin stubs are like scale garbage cans, part numbers are called out on the instructions, rather than on the trees. The fit is questionable, but doesn't look too bad, no tabs, slots or locating pins. Sand EVERY gluing surface flat!

On the up-side, panel lines are finely recessed, the weird plastic sands readily. the kit canopy is clear and not over-thick. 6 decal marking options, Heinkel or Jumo engine options and an optional V-tail.
I won't build a second RS kit. The next box I open will say Tamiya or Academy on it.

That being said, on to the Bullschtein!

h2263312.JPG

Cockpit continues. Boxes, consoles, gear retract lever, throttle quadrant scratched up on the port side of the fuselage. chunk of old wheel weight over the nose gear well, Jumo 004 engines (Blech!) going together.

h70359e2.JPG

The carrier version of the He-280-V2T has 3 more feet of wing. Improves low speed handling, widens the main gear track for trapping aboard, (the Me-109T taught German Naval flyers a hard lesson about carrier landing gear) larger flaps, 2 wing-mounted hard points and more internal fuel capacity. The trade-off is only 2 Mk.108 30mm cannons are mounted in the nose. External fuel tanks or those nifty I/R robot missiles could be carried.

Thanks for looking in!
:salute
:eek:ldguy
:pilot

I'll tell you that it is said that they have improved a lot . So far I'm hoping that's so. I have one somewhere :idonno

Now for the important part of this message :

Coat the edges where you intend to glue together with plastuct once, maybe twice if needed . When you place together it will accept the Tamiya glue . Use restraint till you figure it out .

Cheers, Christian B)

h65c4a6b.JPG

h49c18e2.JPG

Cockpit with consoles levers white thingies & red thingies. The kit instrument panel is pretty fair.
I confess I don't really know what goes in there. Radios, fire extinguisher, my favorite ProModeler decal seat belts.
Fighter Pilots like stuff. I just put stuff in here.

h7736a35.JPG

Stopping place for tonight.
Lots of glue/schmush/Sharpie/scrape/fill/sand/cuss. :bang head
I considered the V-tail. With the old-school subsonic Heinkel wings, the V-tail looked out of place.
Like an X-wing with a chrome blower & dual quads. :stinker

Thanks for looking in!

Looks like you're having fun. (y) Make sure you cap that ProWeld, they ain't making it any more. :eek:hmy:

Chrome blower and dual quads, hmmmmmm....

:hmmm

It isn't often an airplane model puts up such a fuss. Evergreen plastic stock is your good friend when you built this jet!

hce5c8f0.JPG

Wing lengthening done. 18 scale inches each. Do I dare to try to stick them on?

h8fc8441.JPG

So it continues. I decided to mark this Ship as Ernst Udet's DKM jet. "Du Doch Nicht" on the elevator, and "LO" on the fuselage someplace. KGR-2 Badges will adorn the vertical stabilizers, because they look cool.

h6358dde.JPG

I'm taking NO chances on having the 280 sit on Her tail. I hope the Sturdy Sea Legs hold up! :hmmm :idonno

Werner Voss will get a TL Flitzer with somebody else's engine and huge cannon in it later on in this campaign.
:yipee

Back