• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

T-A-26 turboprop in SEA camouflage

chrispisme

After packing up a bunch of models to send off as donations I found I'd missed one, the Revell/Monogram 1/48 A-26 Invader. Rather than tear open the box of donor kits to add another one, which wouldn't have fit anyway... I decided to build it but with a twist...turboprop engine'd COIN aircraft. I moded my resin turbo Otter engines and found they were almost a direct fit...! (the sun does shine on a dog's butt once in a while!) A buddy looking at the model in progress suggested a pylon racer of fire bomber but, I've got my own plans (it's my model after all)
It's probably a good thing this kit didn't make it to the kids, the plastic is kind of odd, it's tough stuff, very tough stuff! In fact Tamiya thin has trouble holding it. I've used straight MEK and thick and thin superglue to build it. It's even hard to sand smooth.
I've also added more weight to the nose than most any other 1/48 kit I've built.
The radial engine lovers among the crowd may want to turn their heads in disgust and leave the room...Ok? I shall carry on now.
The pilots office was built pretty much according to the instructions, as a matter of fact the whole kit was built according to the book...except the engines. A couple of pics.
the fuselage under construction

h4458219.JPG

filling the gun ports and seams

he304753.JPG

h853e0c2.JPG

empenage fitted and test fitting main wings

h2d45d65.JPG

h89fd9f7.JPG

new engines fitted and fairing in

h5853beb.JPG

ha4a7389.JPG

drilling out the Otters spinners to fit new props

h9526ee2.JPG

One drilled out ready for fitting

h1d50b8f.JPG

h3833fa0.JPG

Some mocking up in progress, main wings not attached yet, props fitted to aluminum tubes in the engines to allow spinning. I don't know why I wanted them to spin but now they do.

h64eb813.JPG

hef9470d.JPG

some of the vents, scoops I'll be adding to the nacelles

heeae5f0.JPG

This could be in our In Another World campaign if you like.

https://www.modelersalliance.org/forum/in-another-world

Sounds good to me.
Do I need to re submit it there or does administration look after that?
Thanks, great idea

Cool. Do you have a back (or front) story?
Looking good so far, points for not taking the easy road.
:good:

Hi, sorry no...no back front or side story, just a brain fart that got in my head and I ran with it...or walked with it in this case. Great fun not building to any accuracy I have to say.

SWEEEEET B)
Now that looks better than a turbo prop C-47.
The engines look like they are made for that kits.
Frank
:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

Hi
Thanks guys! Yes I was really amazed at how close the engines came to a perfect fit! Seems they were made for each other...I was looking at Revell's old DC-3 in my stash thinking I'd do the same to it, I've smartened up just a wee bit since that thought, because if I put turboprop engines on it...it'd need floats too!
Back to the task at hand. I was actually thinking winglets (like on an airliner) but Rhino's comment on the STOL tips headed me in another direction...
So I mashed a set of wing tips out using offset printing press sheet, the great thing is it's really malleable, the bad thing is it's really malleable. It took the shape I wanted really nicely but during backing with milliput I bent and dented it in places (battle damage) I'll add more putty as required and do some body work on them as needed.
h414301f.JPG

On The Munny!
:drinks
(y)
I've got a piece of bullschtein to go with your A-26KT if you are interested.

Back