• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Forward Island base rivals, Pacific, ONE DONE

sharkman

Master at Arms
Simple idea, what if the "Seebees" hadn't been so quick constructing airfields.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/p-40-on-floats-study.41262/

Forward Island base rivals, Pacific, 1943

There was the Wild Cat Fish. One made. :hmm

What about retractable floats on a P38? :pilot

or this??

hac44945.jpg

If you zoom in on the text on the P-38, the floats were basically drop tanks to be used for ferrying the aircraft to a base in the pacific and then were dropped (as if they were drop tanks) and the plane would then land normally on a regular airstrip.

The plane still had it's landing gear, just retracted.

The P-38 is an interesting idea, but I'll save that for a later build!

For this, it will be a two-part build. The first one will be a US float fighter based on the P-40. As indicated in the .PDF from the forum I linked to at the start of this thread, in July of 1940 the USAAF was looking for options to ferry the P-40 using floats from the EDO Aircraft Corporation. To do this, EDO recommended a twin float configuration and that the landing gear, ammo and armament be removed so that the floats could provide sufficient floatation. I'm going with the idea that after testing a twin float design, the P-40E-1, they determined that with the landing gear removed and moving to a single float design, much like the SOC seagull and Kingfisher, they were able to keep 4 of the .50 cal guns and have a cheap and effective float fighter. This was fortunate as the SeaBees expanding into the Pacific after Pearl Harbour were hampered in building new runways for land based fighters in 1942 and into 1943. (it's a thin alternate history, I just want to build a float plane!).

here's the kit
hf7aeaaa.jpg

and for the floats, I am going to be using floats from a Tamiya Kyofu that I got at a hobby show for $5. the kits was already started so the floats were together.

hc6404b1.jpg

For part 2, I am planning on building a float version of a Ki-61. With the US forces expanding into the Pacific and the IJAAF short on good float fighters, they decided to test the Ki-61 with a pair of Aichi floats being developed for the M6A Seiran. This new float fighter was not without its problems, but due to the situation, the IJAAF forced the fighter into limited production as the Ki-61-A-1 and it was deployed to several small Island bases in early 1943.

Here's the kit. It was a bagged kit I got off Ebay.

hab3801e.jpg

For this one, I ordered two "C" Sprues from Tamiya from their seiran kit.

h27637fb.jpg

Let the fun begin!

Again, these builds will be exempt from prize drawings!

Forward Island base rivals, Pacific, 1943 - EXEMPT

Damn The Martinis! Full Speed Ahead!
:popcorn

Thanks all!

Got a start on these.

started making some mods to the P-40 for the floats. I drilled a hole for the main float and cut some holes for the outriggers
h443744b.jpg

he59cec0.jpg

h1fbaa36.jpg

Then, I plan on completely getting rid of the landing bays
ha168462.jpg

h3244fa2.jpg

then assembled the floats for the Ki-61. used some lead weights to offset the balance

h1ca802f.jpg

P-40

h970a70c.jpg

Ki-61

h0cffc8e.jpg

and started to paint the offices

hd62fd17.jpg

small update while working on the N-3PB

needed to fill in the wheel wells some more, I previously glued some sheet styrene in from behind, then needed to punch out some circular pieces for the underside of the wing.

ha20294e.jpg

hc51b96d.jpg

I used a hardware bought store punch and bagged them out with a hammer. they fit almost perfectly and will just require a little filling and sanding

more to come...........

got the wheel wells filled and need to do the same thing to the ki-61 but in the meantime, I've been trying to make a few additions to the main float to make it look a little more "American", like a Seagull or Kingfisher float.

I'm not going to use the dolly provided by the Kyofu kit but am going to scratch some beaching gear from the kits wheels to fit more with the American style of attached gear.

i'll modify the rear float for the old tailwheel
h710be5d.jpg

I'll have to fashion a small part to hold the upper part of the gear
h152f405.jpg

Also added a few access hatches, some rails and a couple grab handles
h3fbbc48.jpg

I think the stance will look good
h5198833.jpg

h024b878.jpg

some more work on the cockpits and fuselages

he7c12af.jpg

h5d62629.jpg

h0eacd2b.jpg

almost ready to install canopies and begin on the outside!

slow but some progress!

Back