• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon MK4H - very early production.

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
Hello TNTers,
I have been working on this vehicle for the last few months just as a build project, as I am not sure when I will be painting this. It has been fun researching the photo's which I always enjoy (as those of you who are used to my posts will be aware). This particular vehicle has been a subject which caught my eye about 12 years ago when I purchased the book (Sturm and Drang no4 )that had a series of shots in it (see below)
Russia- 4th Panzer Division, 2nd company
modphoto1.jpg

modphoto2.jpg

modphoto4.jpg

modphoto3.jpg

I was attracted to this vehicle for several reasons, not the least being the collection of gear and stores, as well as the farmyard hitchhikers, which will all add to the scene and enhance the model display. This is also interesting because it is a cross over vehicle from G to H variants.
This vehicle displays some unusual mixes of early H and late G variations as well as battle damage ( a magnet for me). It shows some significant attributes associated with late G models such as the additional welded armour (split version)to the front superstructure and single bolted lower plate, hollow toothed track, early rear Idler wheel, early schurzen mounts and rubber tyred return rollers. It also still retains the side superstructure vision ports as well as the double headlights, however it does have the later model drive sprockets, late rear plate mounts for the cable and the newly designed air cleaner on the right hand side of the vehicle (and this is actually about the only way to really confirm that it is a H model).
So it is about the earliest H version I have seen and must have been in the first batch I think in early 1943 which also explains the total lack of Zimmerit coating.
There has been some exstensive damage as well with the bent hanging rail on the left going 'hand in hand' with the badly damaged front top plate and shot hit into the bottom middle of the welded armour plate. There is also a twisted track bracket and one missing as well as an ill-fitting transmission access hatch. The right headlight is still attached but has broken the mount and is bent over. It is also missing the jack rest block and chain and has nearly every mudguard schurzen mount bent or broken.
Color wise, the decals from Echelon that I have for this tank (Thanks Peter B)suggest a green dominated color but i disagree in looking at my black an white charts etc I think it is more a red brown due to the darker tonal quality so I will be going with yellow and red brown. Echelon also did not have references for the other side but clearly from these photos we see the grizzly bear repeated (lucky they give you an additional set just in case).
The model, I will have to post In the next day or so :unsure: , as I noticed a couple of other missing details while doing this post. I modified the new late model H just because I wanted to use this new kit but in doing so I had to steal some parts from my late G (Dragon also)- i may as well have used the G kit I think or the Tamiya version I have (early H :silly: ). I did however miss the fact that it still retaind the late G rear lower superstructure plate but it is too late to replace it now.....i will have to live with the H version.
I added a VP engine compartment, Alders Nest steel Mg barrel for the front plate and steel Aerial, Fruil track(1941-44) ATL-04, TAMIYA front bolted armour plate and side air cleaner, JB MODEL barrel (35B40). I also used some scale hardware bolts and washes, Model kasten nuts and rounded bolt heads, parts from the Dragon G kit, chain, Aber tool clamps and some scratch wire and plastic pieces.

I will return shortly with an actual build to show.

Brokeneagle.

ian - this is the first time that i drool over a build that i haven't seen a single pic of yet!

you surely hooked me on this one! (well you do it all the time but this is the first time prior to any model pics!)

Hi Ian,

The Filzbalgfilter were introduced into the G production during May of 1943 after the Schürzen. This is also the month that the smoke candle dischargers were dropped from production. I have photos of an approximate May 1943 factory shot showing the earlier final drive cover behind the drive wheel(about the only feature I trust to differentiate the models aside from the reinforced turret roof) which also has bolted 30mm Zusatzpanzer, Schürzen skirts, Kw.K.40 L/48 gun, extra antenna (it was a Panzerbefehlswagen). Best of all, for me, several of this batch made it to the Bulgarian Army (the only reason I went into so much reference on the tank).

The earliest H models (the first thirty of which did not get the reinforced final drives using those from the G production) had Zusatzpanzer until June of 1943 when the 80mm thick solid plates were incorporated into the manufacture. This is about the time that the side superstructure visors were omitted. Zimmerit began in September as well welded bump stops (they were cast before) and forged hub caps. October brought out the cast idler. In December, interlocked hull front plates were introduced. January, 1944, brought about the bolted cover for the Nähverteidigungswaffe hole in the turret roof. The Filzbalgfilters were dropped from production in February.

Krupp built about 379 Ausf. H models before converting to StuG IV production in December of 1943. Vomag built about 693 and Ni-Werk about 1250 before switching to the Ausf. J in February of 1944. 90 Ausf. H chassis were used by Ni-Werk for Sturmpanzer IV (60) and StuG IV (30).

The above is gleaned from Panzer Tracts No. 4 by the team of Hilary L. Doyle and Thomas L. Jentz. It is mentioned since you probably see some details I haven't which will identify the variant.

Regards,

Hi Ian,

This is going to be soooooo much fun to watch you do your magic. And I just love the subject. The mobile chicken coop concept is just fantastic. All you need is a rocking chair on top with Granny Clampet sitting with her shotgun across her lap :laugh:

Gary B)

Saul, Gary and Ruben,
thanks for your comments and encouragement guys. :)

Saul, thanks for the fantastic detail on the G and H models. I will have to get myself the panzertracts books I think, as I have been working from Actung Panzer mainly. This publication did not mention that the late G models could also have the air cleaner. Your extra info suggests that this could just as easily be a very late G as an very early H, without being able to identify the roof of the turret or the final drive housings.
The echelon decals sheet call this one a G but Sturm and Drang call it an H. I will stick with what I have and just call it my interpretation of an early H. :unsure:

Ian.

Call it what you will as long as you enjoy it! I will enjoy watching your build.

The Panzer Tracts title is out of print. I spoke to Tom Jentz and he is hoping to release a new series of 'Number 4' as he did with the others Panzers (4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc). History Facts also has a Panzer IV book coming as well. If as good as their StuG book, it will be worth getting.

The smoke candle dischargers were not mentioned in the Ausf. H section of the Panzer Tracts book.

Regards,

OK,
back again armed with the knowledge that this could very well be a late G or an early H using the photographic evidence. I have chosen to model this as an H (probably stupidly as I should have started with a G kit). Such is the life of an armor modeller.... :silly:

This is the Dragon Late model H kit that came out late 2009. I have added various extras as stated in my initial post. The kit is very well detailed and highly accurate, giving the modeller a chance to build a comprehensive and detailed H model out of the box. The part of the kit that really stands out for me are the guards which are detailed on both sides (these are common for all the recent Dragon mk4 kits).
I started with cutting out the support mouldings on the inside of the lower body shell to allow the VP engine bay.I had some issues with getting a clean cut but thank God for my Micro chisel, as once this was applied the job was much easier.
IMG_8279.jpg

IMG_8280.jpg

IMG_8281.jpg

IMG_8287.jpg

IMG_8297.jpg

IMG_8296.jpg

Below you can see the original superstructure plates before adding the bolted and welded additional armour and the frontal battle damage.
IMG_8289.jpg

Here are the rubber-tyred wheels I grabbed from my G kit.

IMG_8290.jpg

MORE DETAILS ON THE COMPLETED MODEL
I say completed but I still need to add the wire for the font mud guard hinges as well as some more nuts and bolts and a couple of final kit parts.

The rounded nuts added above and below the vision ports. Welds added to seal the vision slits as per Actung panzer for a H model. Welds also added to the side of the front superstructure. Hatch stpper pipes added from wire. Another nice aspect of the Dragon kit are the details of themounts for the schurzen rails- these are provided if you want to leave it off. Great touch
IMG_8775.jpg

Battle damage on the front plate.Plastic stip added as per a G welded front additional armor.Alders Nest MG barrel - steel and pre-blued.
IMG_8776.jpg

I added a track pin to the spare track to mount on the front plate. Made prom plastic strip.
IMG_8777.jpg

Ring (lifting?)added to the gun mantlet.
IMG_8774.jpg

Busted headlight with bolt.
IMG_8769.jpg

IMG_8770.jpg

Missing jack block with chain retaining bolt and washer addded to superstructure top. I still need to fill the hole. I glued the block part on and then realised it had to come off. The mark will be sanded smooth and a paint mark left as per the photo.
IMG_8772.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

The kit provides some nice additional details such as separately moulded wing nuts and hatch stoppers which do not appear inthe instruction sheet, so please be aware thaey are there and can be used to replace moulded details.
IMG_8786.jpg

CHAIN - BEFORE i ADDED THE TAMIYA BOLTED FRONTAL ARMOR.
Another good feature here is the detail for the bolts etc in the way of holes before you add the tow pintal plates. This allows you to easily add the detail on some mk4's I have seen where these have been damaged and removed.
IMG_8779.jpg

Air cleaner from Tamiya. Sorry about the bad photo but you can see the small extras added. Also holes drilled into the guard where themount is missing for the side sheilds.
IMG_8781.jpg

Final rear plate with open access hatch and chain etc. I will add a chain to the engine deck at the last stage.
I SHOULD ALSO POINT OUT THAT I STILL HAVE SOME MORE SALL DETAILS TO ADD AND NOTHING IS FIXED AT THIS OINT BECAUSE i NEED TO PAINT THE ENGINE BAY BEFORE i CAN FIX THE UPPER STRUCTURE WHICH THEN EFFECT EVERYTHING ELSE.

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8773.jpg

IMG_8767.jpg

IMG_8791.jpg

IMG_8796.jpg
IMG_8790.jpg
IMG_8792.jpg

IMG_8797.jpg

HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE TOUR.
BROKENEAGLE (AKA Barry Panzer) :silly: . ;)

Simply fabulous! Also, you answered a question I had about fitting the VP engine bay to the new Pz IV kits from Dragon... looks GREAT!

Regards,

Hi Ian,

Well what can I say. The Dragon kit is really nice kit and you added the details to make it a earlyer version.

But , I gonna say and mayby everybody is angry with me but you can built better than that Ian.
I see lots of seems and parts that aren't cleaned up as they supposed to be.
Well I'm a bit dissapointed. Don't work to fast.

Sorry it's not a personal attack just my thoughts.

Best regards

Kristof

Good work so far but I think the crow bar will have to come off, as you can see in the last photo, they used it for extra leverage to open the engine access hatch......

Back