• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MK3J Stalingrad early winter 1942

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
This is an old one of mine but not too old. Circa 2005. I wanted to do a similar scene to a photo from the concord book on mk3's- the photo showed a long barrel late model while I did a short barrel early model. The early models are quickly identified by having the engine deck with the vertical pattern covers as on the H (and seen on the stug F). I had to 'butcher' a Stug 3 F for the rear deck and cross kit this with a Tamiya L (when I built this the Dragon J was not released yet).
Creation
mk3-2.jpg

Below are a few shots from the creation stage - first the actual Kit which got Aber brass, scratchbuilding and 'cross-kiting'.
construction9.jpg

Base

step1.jpg

Part 2 The finished model
- too many shots to fit into the one post, sorry. This has a mix of the orginal state and the update I did just a few days ago with white pigment for the very white snow.

IMG_0036.jpg

brilliant perfect! it catches the desperate atmosphere and coldness of the stalingrad pocked!

sorry if i repeat myself but i love your dios ian!

Thanks Laura, no problemo- I don't mind you liking my dio's at all:laugh: :dude
I wanted to post some more but the site won't let me edit my own posts so I will post some more here in this reply. i WAS VERY HAPPY with the cold white appearance of this dio and the beautiful sculpting of the Hornet figure (white metal). This was an effect that I had not tried before this so I really had to push my boundries to get a believable wind blown snow effect. My update with the white pigment has made the new snow even 'whiter' which gives it even more contrast which was my intention.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

Holy cow, Ian! There's so much going on here, I have to keep going back to catch it all!! :notworthy :notworthy (y)

BROKENARROW,

WoW !! Awesome !! Hell's Yeah ! All the little touches are in there. I really Dig th fact that you put an Anvil in there ! Great Job. Th Snow looks real, Th White Wash is Bangin' !

Good looking Figure ! Atta' Boy ! Great Job !! Yeah, I can't look at this too Much ! WoW ! :ro: :ro: :ro:

ERIK

:) B) Thank you Adam Mike and Erik - really appreciate your comments. I kinda like this one as well as I enjoy the effects you can get with snow dio's and the high contrast that adds to the atmosphere.

Erik - the Anvil was a last minute decision and was (if I remember correctly) the last piece I added of the accessories. The driver was the rusty metal top that I wanted as an effect at the front to draw in the viewer.

Ian(Brokeneagle)

Most probably one of the most realisitc snow effects Ive seen especiallyas its light snow with added drift

:D

Andy

Hiya Ian.
Long time no talk..... although I just found out that you had left a message a while ago, just before the messages on the phone were deleated by a small child :angry: Sorry bout that.:blush:
I loved this one the first time I saw it at wheels and tracks and I still think you were ripped off not getting first.
Good to see its rebirth after its slight accident.

Hope you and the family have been well. I will give you a call soon.
Pete

Thanks for the great wrap Andy. I am really pleased with the reation to the snow effects.
Thanks again.

Pete,
great to hear from you I hope your back is nearly better. I will try calling again but I have not had much luck with email or phone. Hope we can speak and catch -up soon.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

this thread is realy cool.:notworthy

Perfect idea from field repair service. (y)

I have Pz III in 1/72 with engine and drivers space
Please have more photos for interier?(mainly turret) :blush:

Many thanks.
P.

:) Michael ,James and Pavel. Thank you for checking out the post and commenting I hope you enjoyed. Certainly time to cheer up I think.;)

Ian.

Shalom Broken Eagle.

That scene really brings home how much the troops of all sides must have suffered during the winters of WW2. Well done and extremely convincing.

Cheers from Peter

Back