• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

KV1 Shelf Queen 1/35 - 2022 update - base and figs completed

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
This old Tamiya kit had been painted and weathered for some time(years and years) and needed tracks and an update.
Rubber band track were replaced with Bronco indiviual link which feel just like 'Model Kasten' ones except on the sprue and way cheaper.
20181125_222124.jpg

20181125_222103.jpg

20181125_222203.jpg

This will be the first 1/35 tank I have painted for 5 years so I am a bit nervous.

Stage one was about adding some more mud with Tamiya soil effect - brown, which I really like and recommend as a solid base texture and for a base color.
20190114_131214.jpg

The green had had an light dust pass with an airbrush but I had not added any mud or gone further with any effects at the time as I was still thinking about what to do (20 years of thinking).
I am still building the final length of track link to put on the tank at the final weathering stage. They go together very easy using white glue and remain movable. Just don't loose the small pins.
20190114_131127.jpg

as you can see in the photo above they give you a small jig as well which works great!

Stage 2 was some toning over the darker greens using Vallejio paints, as I had already painted the dark black green base with Tamiya and put on dry decals years ago(this has some more fancy name now as coined by the big names to sell more books, but I have always just airbrushed varying lighter shades on 1 tone base color to randomise its appearance using panels/ surfaces) .... the decals are not exactly correct as I think they are for a T34 but this is not a comp build and as long as it looks Russian I am happy for this one.
20190124_015259.jpg

20190124_015241.jpg

The seams on the external petrol tanks were softened but not hidden as close-up photos of real vehicles have shownd these are there as fine welds.
20190124_015232.jpg

20190124_015313.jpg

20190124_015340.jpg

Back soon with stage 3 which will add more weathering and shadowing.

Last edited:
The KV is looking good, can't wait for the next installment. (y)

Yesterday, I reread your StuG on a rail car from start to finish, what a gem! Any plans to finish that one? :drool

:drinks

Looks good Ian! Maybe this will make me get a couple of my 30 year old shelf queens out and try and finish them.

:) Thanks guys for stopping buy to check out this old soldier.
As i said earlier it's been a while so don't expect too much - I am woefully out of practice! :smack
I am finally getting a small window of time to do some models (y)
Mike, yeah I was looking at that the otherday as well....a coincidence? I really loved that build , i just need to get up the confidence to paint it. Maybe after this if I feel I have ironed out my rust :).

HE - do it, it feels pretty good.

Thanks again Fledermaus and MP as well.
Next stage posts hopefully tonight.

Ian.

KV1 Shelf Queen 1/35 19/02 update

Stage 3
So stage 3 has been about adding some coats of very thin Valleijo greens, then, once dry, going across to thin pools of washes of greens and mud colors with pigments. Once these have dried I start detaiing and creating complimentary contrasts through weathering and then bring back the green base colors.
What I want to achieve with this one is a bit of a challenge due to the nature of the KV series and it being an OOTB build aside from the tracks.
KV tanks are quite bland really but their 'blockyness' can be made to work in your favour. The straight panels and defined segments to the detail can be used to highlight different colors of mud, as well as breaking up the greens and bringing highlights forward where they can be given more interest, next to straight panel segments.

I also wanted to weather this tank without chipping much or sending it to the scrap heap. Tanks get dirty but they dont just start disintergrating. The tool boxes on the fender are an obvious area for highlighting as these are made from a much thenner metal and are more prone to scratching and damage.
web_183757.jpg

web183822.jpg

web_183705.jpg

I find it pretty hard to get a ref pic of an operational Russian tank with it covered in chips and rusting everywhere, unless it is a knockout or a survivor in the campaigns moving into Germany in late 1944 or '45.
Sometimes you have to be subtle, which is a lot harder because you can't rely on the realism coming from hardcore damage, so I decided to go for a real dusty and dried mud look from a hot and dusty Russian summer. I would recomend a number of Masters here at MA for achieving some spectacular tank builds without much chipping or damage such as John Steinman, Bob Letterman or Mr T.
John in particular is someone who achieves rich color and subtle weathering with a realistic finish, that is also artistic at the same time - I have used his work as a personal painting ref standard for over a decade.
Besides you don't want every tank in your collection all looking the same. :frantic

OK enough of that....back again with stage 4
Stage 4
In regards to my painting process this is the hardest part with the real 'make or break' effects being cemented here, sorry about that pun (No i'm not ;) .
If I stuff it up here there is no way out unless I do a total repaint or throw it in the bin. :unsure: By about half way I can tell weather I go on or crash and burn.
web_183030.jpg

web_182949.jpg

web_182903.jpg

web_182808.jpg

I will come back closer to the final stage to rework parts of the decals with paint - the hard part about a shelf queen with markings already on.
and when you really get rolling with the paint and pigments it ends up looking like this at about 2am on a Sunday morning
web_184142.jpg

Here you can see I have used Artists oils, pigments, acrylics and pencils with wet and dry applications using brushes, sponges, rollers as well as ripped up edges of foam and soap pads. One of the most important elements is the dryness of the medium, combined with brush length and width. Never under estimate the importance of knowing the right brush for the right job. I am not up with the latest in the books available at the moment, so I am probably just talking about stuff most of you may have read about already, but as I like to continually experiment with each build using whatever I am hoping I cam maintain a unique style. If I see a nice effect on someones model I try to replicate it with my own methods rather than buying another book.
web_183231.jpg

Next up we 'sink' into further madness with small detail time and attaching the tracks.

The venerable Tamiya KV's! I use a KV-II as my paint test bed now, they were awful kits - kudos to you for the restoration!

:good: Thank s for the positive comments - all appreciated.
A small update on the track work - great idea to replace the tracks with nice workable Bronco's but one change with these old kits always gets you in deeper water. Tamiya rear wheel guide horns are too large and don't fit the Bronco tracks - i'm guessing the tracks are correct as they are way more recent than the 1970's Tamiya kit.
I cut off the horns were they slot into the track - mud and dust will do the rest.
20190221_110626.jpg

20190221_110644.jpg
20190222_034809.jpg

20190222_034924.jpg

20190222_034847.jpg

Track painting began before fixing to tank....a very painful job that was completed using white glue on the seperated sections. :gogo
20190222_191215.jpg

20190222_191242.jpg

20190222_191228.jpg

Someone didn't wipe their feet before climbing aboard. :laugh:

It's all coming together very nicely, Ian! I really like how the colors work.
:good:

Someone didn't wipe their feet before climbing aboard. :laugh:

It's all coming together very nicely, Ian! I really like how the colors work.
:good:

:laugh: plus a few river crossings and some dust on top when it dries after rolling across the vast Russian step. ;)

Thanks Mike. :dude

KV1 Shelf Queen 1/35 completed

Basically I am calling this done. Out Of The Box 1970's horror story from Tamiya [if you don't count the tracks].
It was fun though ;)
Just a couple of MG's to add and maybe a simple base and figure a little later. I am also thinking of adding a few dark green chips to the lettering on the turret side.
Time Lapse
20190114_131214.jpg

20190124_015241.jpg
web_183757.jpg

web_182949.jpg

An old kit and a basic project but I found it very cathartic for my modelling and it has got me 're-wired' for some more, which I really needed at present.

COMPLETED
DSC02472.JPG

20190302_223048.jpg

20190302_223141.jpg

20190302_221450.jpg

20190302_222927.jpg

20190302_222853.jpg

20190302_222710.jpg
20190302_221519.jpg

DSC02484.JPG

KV1 Shelf Queen 1/35 completed

That's pretty sweet, Ian! I like it very much! :D (y)

Back