• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 BF 110 C-7(ZG1 support for Stalingrad)

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
Hello everyone, my building of a diorama and finishing is way overdue so I would like to begin this quite large subject, BF 110 C-7 abandoned during the winter of '42-43 by ZG1 after their airfields were firstly threatened and then overrun by the Russian counter offensives that captured the city back and expanded west.
me110_a.jpg

The picture above was my inspiration even though this is a BF 110 G2 in Southern Italy. This unit is their evolution from ZG1 in the east to ZG26 when redeployed to Southern Italy, but the idea and the wasp emblem still apply.
I decided to depict a plane that had been abandoned to the Russians once the retreat was on which would give me plenty of licence to show off the nice detail in this Dragon kit while still retaining the basic plane with a bit more drama, weathering and damage.
dragon3203reviewbg_box.jpg

20161210_201549.jpg

To be continued.....

Awesome :D There are a few instruction issues to be wary of. The biggest being the wheel wells. I'll see if I can find them for you.
James

These might be of help.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=59192&page=1

http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/reviews/kits/dragon3203reviewbg_1.htm

James

That just looks like an Ian diorama!

Couldn't think of anything fitting your style any better!

Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

:dude Thanks to all the posters for your interest and encouragement. :cheer:
I have a few other bits and pieces to show and some progress.
Thanks to James for the links. I was already referring to Bret Green's instructions fix and have a pic to show how I add some notes.
Here are some more shots of planes from the same field.
* Of note are the missing armaments and engines.This seems to be common place for their retreat in Southern Italy, using the planes as spare parts to keep others working and then retrieving all parts of value when they pulled out.
me110_c.jpg

me110_b.jpg

From what I have 'gleaned' from my references about the Russian airfields near Stalingrad, they were sustaining heavy losses to the point where ZG1 could only muster 5 110's for a long range fighter patrol over Stalingrad(28th Jan 1943). '3 days later 10 serviceable Bf 110's turned their backs on Stalingrad.....then retired to Rostov' quote from Osprey 110 aces of WW2.
So in all likelihood we have a unit that has left behind unservicable planes that have been used for spare parts to try to keep the unit in a condition to fight. This is what has grabbed my attention, combined with the photos of the unit from Italy, even though I have no photographic reference for Russian derelicts at this time, for this unit.
Here is a flying example of the kind of paint job I am looking at replicating.
Me110-C4-KG210-28S92BAS29-Russia1942-5B0175D-17.jpg

So next -up I will actually start building and go into a little 'chit chat ' about what I like or dislike about the kit and what mods I am contemplating.
Stay Tuned.

The building begins......
here are some simple shots of progress so far. Not a lot to say at this point except that the level of detail is very nice and crisp and that the kit seems to go together so far, like a Tamiya kit. :good:
I have included a shot of the notes I have made from Brett Greens instruction fix on this kit and would highly recommend stopping by his site, Hyperscale before building this kit.
First up here is an example of what you need to markup on your instructions if you are to keep this build a fun one ;)
20161214_004140.jpg

20161214_003922.jpg

20161214_003955.jpg

20161214_004001.jpg

20161214_004116~0.jpg

Back