• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 SCALE BLACK WIDOW - BANGED -UP OF COURSE

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
:D
I often find that the best motivator is a great photo and that is what happened this time around.
I had seen the Trumpeter recent release of the 1/32 P-61 and was interested but not committed to buying. I like the P-61 very much, but as a lot of you know I don't go much for models just sitting there, and the P61 is not small, so I needed to have an epiphany before purchasing this one.
I found it last Friday.
Model ordered and on it's way from Lucky model.

THE SPOOK -

IWO JIMA 1945 - 548th NFS :

P-61 BLACK WIDOW LANDING ACCIDENT

342-FH-3A-42700-B58880AC_p61_crash_548th_nfs_zps40a494ab.jpg

342-FH-3A-42699-A58880AC_p61_crash_548th_nfs_zps339dee32.jpg

'The spook' was one of 4 planes caught by bad weather on returning from a night mission in 1945. Iwo Jima was renowned for it's bad visibility with pilots and proved more dangerous than the Japanese at this stage of the war.
The first P-61 made it down but blew a tyre.
The second, 'The Spook', came in with zero visability, was wide of the runway, adjusted but clipped the ground, bounced off the first aircraft's top surface and slid on it's belly off the side of the airstip with it's 20mm cannon firing as it slid.
The plane was deemed a right off.
They also lost the 3rd aircraft as the crew bailed out over the coast of the Island but the 4th circled with enough fuel and landed when the weather cleared.

Time to wreck a perfectly good 1/32 scale classic aircraft! (y)

Ian.

I'm sure you see it, but look how the booms got twisted around, that's going to be something to replicate.

What a project Ian, really looking forward to this. :popcorn

oh my - that's very ambitious! i don't know why but the band name "my life with the thrill kill kult" immediately popped in my head when i saw that photo!

:popcorn

This should be very cool to watch. The kit looks great by the way. Will watch with interest.
James

:) Thanks everyone for the interest.

I'm sure you see it, but look how the booms got twisted around, that's going to be something to replicate.

What a project Ian, really looking forward to this. :popcorn

:hmmm Yeah, saw those. I am not sure at this point - I didn't want to damage the shape that much but then if I don't I don't stay true to the picture. I though maybe I could model this with twisting the rear spars?
What do you guys think?

Ian.

Did some hunting today and found some details on colors.
I need info guys on whether I can get these decals and are there brass guns for this sucker or PE/ ENGINE DETAILS?
Any help appreciated.

A skin artist for PC games had this color shot which looks to me like the B/W has been colored - but a very good job.
color_zps6439519f.jpg

Some others
color3_zps9cfa6139.jpg

color4_zpsbb956f1e.jpg

color2_zps97d9a211.jpg

leftside_zps08a9ae67.jpg

color5_zps0145c4d7.jpg

p61noseart_zpse6938fa3.jpg

p-61-black-widow-500-25_zpsdc38ee49.jpg

Hey Ian, if you look at that image that's looking from the tail forward, you can see two breaks on the booms. That's why the stabilizers are tilted. So it wasn't really a twist in the airframe but breaks on both booms. That raises the question, did it break in the crash or have they started to chop it up already? IMHO, the breaks are too consistent with a crash and they seem to be clean through but at the same time, you don't see any heavy equipment around that could have done those breaks.

You want detail engines?? http://www.neomega-resin.com/vector/american.htm check out the P&W R-2800A/B. I've used a couple of them, really nice resin. They do not come with carburetors so you'd have to scratch that some.

Wow! :ro: Impressive project, can't wait to see the new updates with pictures :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Hey Ian, if you look at that image that's looking from the tail forward, you can see two breaks on the booms. That's why the stabilizers are tilted. So it wasn't really a twist in the airframe but breaks on both booms. That raises the question, did it break in the crash or have they started to chop it up already? IMHO, the breaks are too consistent with a crash and they seem to be clean through but at the same time, you don't see any heavy equipment around that could have done those breaks.

You want detail engines?? http://www.neomega-resin.com/vector/american.htm check out the P&W R-2800A/B. I've used a couple of them, really nice resin. They do not come with carburetors so you'd have to scratch that some.

Hey MP,
thanks for the 'heads -up'.

'I though maybe I could model this with twisting the rear spars?'

I looked back at my post and realised that I left a word out and it didn't come out as expected - to much of a hurry I think.
I should have said ....
I though maybe I could model this without twisting the rear spars?

I was trying to get across that I did not want to damage the aircraft frame to the point where it looses it's classic lines - such as the twisting/ cutting of the rear spars.
I had noticed that there was a break, however your comment that there should not be this kind of a break made me look again and re-think what you pointed out.
In other smashes I have seen with aluminum skinned aircraft, the surface always dents and buckles. When there is a tear, it is usually over quite a large area.
I agree with you that the breaks are quite uniform and look as though they have been cut!
Also, I can't imagine how this kind of tear could come about from a belly landing, and there not be any other damage on either side of the breaks, or produce the breaks themselves. The rear frame is too high to receive damage on a belly landing with the cockpit and mid area being so heavy (it would keep the rear above the ground enough to be reasonably undamaged).
There are a number of personnel in the vehicles situated around the plane, plus 2 reasonable size trucks to either side that may carry hand held equipment.
Also, the attitude of the support crew all around and their numbers, suggest that something has already been done, and will continue once a decision has been made. The two at the rear of the wing look as though they were discussing some technical issue, and then in the front shot are moving away to initiate the next phase.

I would love to know some other views if anybody is willing to add something? :Hiay

Ian.

Oh this will be beyond cool :popcorn :popcorn. Bob knows all about my passion for old wrecked birds lol. I agree those breaks are way to uniform to have happened on landing. They are also very clean looking. Usually when a plane tears like that, it will be very jagged. Much like this Hellcat that I documented a few years back

Back