• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IJN Egg-Kagi Aircraft Carrier Vignette

Rhino

Super Moderator
I just cannot resist any further!
habbfdd3.JPG

I've had a most outlandish idea for a Chibi-Maru vignette for some time. I've got the model, IJN CV Akagi, I've got the poofy blue insulation for the wave base. I'm working on Egg-Dolphins to complete the "Make a Model, make a Joke" silliness, of which I am SO fond.
h77edec4.jpg

I had some Minions Tic-tacs, not doing much on my desk.

Then I took a few beads from my Dear Heart's endless stores.
h5309912.JPG

The Egg-Dolphins are a family. I got swept away and did the WWII Kriegsmarine's 9th U-boat Flotilla's "Laughing Swordfish" insignia, in living 3D. Just to fill space in the Egg-Dolphin mold.

Watch & See!! It will tickle yer funnybone!

O-bee K-bee! :facepalm
During a gmail chat with Mike one week-end, I was laughing about what eggish things a Guy could do with a Chibi-Maru Ship Model. Since then, I've been kicking around the Egg-Dolphin idea inside my model-addled imagination for a long time. :hmmm
I've made a lot of dinky odd-ball models since 2016, When TLAR Models started. They mostly come from plans, detailed drawings, or measurements and pictures I took myself (Shrimp Boat set). I wasn't gonna make a Shark for the 1/350 Orca. If occurred to me that if I could make The Boat, I could womp up a scale Shark the proper length.
Well, Hell, If I can womp up a scale Great White (after a few :drinks ) What's stopping you from making the Egg-Dolphins come to life? Grow a Pair and get it done! Sooo...........

I popped the seal on the Minion Banana Tic-Tacs my Sister gave me, started laughing, turned up the music, and sallied forth!!

Note: Tic-Tacs do not react well to drill bits. They fracture into flakes & pieces. Grind them with a bitty Dremel grinding bit. :bang head

The fins, flippers and tails are all little cast-of pieces of liquid plastic from my ship model castings.
I just pick out a chunk the right size, give it a basic shape, C/A glue the piece to the Tic-Tac, accelerate and sand it to a shape That Looks About Right.
EVERY experienced Modeler knows to sand any resin part with water to keep from having dust enter your body.
When you wet-sand a tic-tac, they get slimy first, then sticky, then yer fangers turn yeller!! :smack
DUH!!

Gentle grinding with a Dremel cut-off disc on the glass Bead will groove it enough to attach the dorsal fin & bitty flippers for the Baby (hatchling?!) Egg-Dolphin. I plan to use Archer's eye decals on the finished Cetacean Family.

Feel absolutely free to mimic my efforts if you must make Egg-Phins for YOUR own Chibi-Maru ships. OR!!!
TLAR will have this set for sale in a few weeks. Just go ahead and use Tic-Tacs mints for their intended porpoise. :drool
HOWZATT Mike? Better?

You never NEVER, eat, er, rather BUILD the Master!
Molds don't last forever, but another mold is just an order from Reynolds Materials and Mastercard purchase away! :dance
Funny Pup!

My Scrambled mind could do NO less. I always do my best to keep the Sunny Side Up. I've never claimed to be less than EGG-centric! I do love me a good pun. A boring over-weight, boring, english-teacher-waitress told me once that puns are the lowest form of humor. I say "The Yolks on YOU unhappy educated no-tip-gettin' sourpuss!"
:pp :stinker

Thanks Men, for looking in!!

My 2-part molds always seem to end in disaster. With this in mind, Smilin' Darren Roberts, founder of Fox Two airplane model parts inspired me to make more complex, deeper, 1 part molds and allow for a little flash.

h16fb841.jpg

First! The Egg-Dolphin Family!!
I make a jig, mount the Master, and pour the RTV lovingly into the mold Box. Extracting the Masters can be a challenge, but making small cuts with a new knife blade allows the air to escape when casting, and Yippee! Egg-Dolphins. I did the 1/350 Porker the same way.

Old Onkel Swordfisch will be included in this set. He served in WWII with the Kriegsmarine U-Boat arm. He's always in a good mood!

Egg-Dolphin report;
Mommy Dolphin's casting was a flop, her tic-tac dissolved a bit, :idonno and lost it's shape and she was completely disassembled removing her from the mold. Daddy Dolphin's tail didn't cast at all. Onkel Swordfisch cast only his nose, tail and bead body from the dorsal back. (A Conversion set perhaps?!) Baby dolphin cast ok, but I snapped of his nose freeing him from the mold.

I never did hope you Men thought me an expert. As if all my molds & castings were pristine and trouble free.
Every once in a while, a project reminds me to re-think my processes. (Simpler molds work best) Like this one! HA! :stinker
Next up, smaller, less ambitious molds. :rotf

habacb34.JPG

I am just not willing to give up on the Egg-Dolphin family molding/Castings yet. :bang head
The first effort was a DISASTER! :sick:
SOOooooo........... Today I poured 2 new, less crowded, molds with a brand new Momma Dolphin master. The Lego boxes are lined with plastic to minimize leakage and inhibit the formation of bubbles/voids.
We try again!

One day I may actually get to Egg-kagi and Her wave base. No Bathtub yet! :rotf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdcIwHKd_s

Back