• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Show worthy???

iambrb

So I very much need the opinion of youse-guys (y’all here in S.C.) regarding this model.

There is a very small regional (not even IPMS) model show in this area next month, & I was thinking of taking this. When I got it out to look it over, I realized that after sitting for many months, a white smudge has appeared UNDER the cockpit! Please give me an honest opinion, is it a deal breaker???

h7fa3a57.jpeg

ha41ed53.jpeg

hb753570.jpeg

hb753570.jpeg

h7153065.jpeg

Hi
from the pictures it looks more like a dent or sink in the plastic, should definitely be addressed before showing (if in a contest) if just showing, go as is.

Not a sink in the plastic. I think I used gel type CA To affix. Possible to remove without destroying surrounding paint?

If you are talking about the inside of the clear parts, that looks like damage from CA fumes. Did you coat the clear parts with Future or any other clear coat before gluing with CA?

Looks like there's a dent on the outside under the canopy above the OUA, maybe too much glue heated up the plastic?

If you are talking about the inside of the clear parts, that looks like damage from CA fumes. Did you coat the clear parts with Future or any other clear coat before gluing with CA?

No I did not. Is it possible to remove without killing all the surrounding paint?

If it is underneath the canopy, it can be fixed. It will take some work and you will probably need to remove the windscreen to get to it.

It will also probably need to be polished on the inside and any other parts that are coated will need to be addressed.

Consider it a challenge, I had a 1/72 He51b float plane that I was building way back when. Didn't like how the first try at paint went on and used Easy-Off to remove it. It also did something to the plastic and the thing broke apart.

I put it in the box and set it aside for a long time. Then took it down and decided to try and do something with it.

Long story short it won it's category in several contests as well as a regional. I learned a lot from redoing and fixing it and it turned out much better than it would have if it had been finished the first time.

Well, I can see a depression in the skin in front of the right side of the windshield and that should be filled and repainted. I see what I call "frosting" from CA on the inside of the clear parts, both the windscreen and the canopy. It depends on how deep it has affected the clear parts as to the difficulty of repair. Fixing things like this under time pressure makes the outcome more questionable. The best method would be to acquire some replacement clear parts. A good repair is unlikely with them on it and would likely lead to damage to the surrounding areas while trying to fix the issue with the clear parts on. If they have to come off anyway why not put new parts on? This looks like the Academy kit, is it?

A hard lesson for me to learn was that good models (in my shop anyway) are more likely to come from developing skills in recovering from problems than learning how to build them perfectly the first time. I've pretty concluded that the probability of me achieving the latter is somewhere on the far side of winning the billion dollar lottery.

If you want to try and replace the windscreen, I might have a spare or two, I tried this kit with some resin that didn't fit at all. Must have been eduard stuff. :rotf

I'll look this after noon if I still have this stuff.

What about one of your tanks?

Well, I can see a depression in the skin in front of the right side of the windshield and that should be filled and repainted. I see what I call "frosting" from CA on the inside of the clear parts, both the windscreen and the canopy. It depends on how deep it has affected the clear parts as to the difficulty of repair. Fixing things like this under time pressure makes the outcome more questionable. The best method would be to acquire some replacement clear parts. A good repair is unlikely with them on it and would likely lead to damage to the surrounding areas while trying to fix the issue with the clear parts on. If they have to come off anyway why not put new parts on? This looks like the Academy kit, is it?

A hard lesson for me to learn was that good models (in my shop anyway) are more likely to come from developing skills in recovering from problems than learning how to build them perfectly the first time. I've pretty concluded that the probability of me achieving the latter is somewhere on the far side of winning the billion dollar lottery.

I agree fully John. I guess that is why my builds are so slow. A good example of learning from FUBARs is my K'Tinga build going on. I repaired 5 parts, and was able to mod another (not yet shown) to fit better. Learned how to do that the hard way, but now it is a lot easier and safer.

Hey Bruce I meant to reply to this sooner but have been a bit busy over the pass week or so. I think if you really want to be competitive for the show then this area needs to be addressed. However I'm not sure how you would be able to repair the area without needing to repaint and finish the nose of the aircraft. If your not comfortable with a chose to leave it as just be aware of the realities regarding the show. Even taking the model as is and entering supports the shows and help make it an even better success.

Just some food for thought...Hope it helps :v

Thanks guys. I do not think i will take it, for that very reason, but I kinda like it as it stands, so I guess I'll just enjoy it that way.

I say take it and be part of the show/contest. Have some fun. In the end it's not about the hardware. Meaning it's cheaper to go to a trophy and one made saying how great the model was.

Sharing your build is the best part of the hobby. Never know you might run into someone who can have the knowledge of an easy fix.

Soap box speech is over.

:drinks

Back