• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

joining chrome plated parts

Paulw

I came in to possession of a 1/48 Tamiya P-51 that has "Silver painted" surfaces. As a matter of fact the whole darn plane is plated. Now this is more aluminum color that it is chrome of the old monogram/revell era plastic. As a matter of fact it is pretty close to an all aluminum shade. I know that when joining the surfaces you need to scrape the plating off the joining surfaces but this is where my quandary begins. After you get the two parts glued together what do you do about the step or gap etc.etc. I know that there is most likely to be filling and sanding but to minimize the damage caused by sanding is there a technique that would allow assembly with out so much damage? I doubt I have a shade of metalizers that would match the metallic shade of the manufactured part.

I have checked the usual resources for such things but no help there.

These work really well, I use mine for touchups n chrome car parts and have even "plated" an entire part with it.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/Silver-Molotow-Liquid-Chrome---2mm/p/80858456

You can buy the refills (not at Hobby Lobby) and it can be sprayed through the air brush. I must confess I have not gone that far yet.

Bare Metal Foil is another option, it is very thin and can be burnished down tight.

B)

I'm not sure what to use to refinish the damaged areas. To minimize damage to the paint and details I would lay some tape down close to the seams , parallel. Then when you fill and sand the tape should protect somewhat. You doe have to be more careful doing it though. And if the tape gets worn down just replace it. Then you only need to rescribe a small area and hopefully not have to repair as much.
Just out of curiosity, would it be easier to remove the plating and then build as you normally would and then paint as you normally would? I understand oven cleaner works well and I have heard brake fluid also. I have not done this though so I cant vouch for the technique.
James

Any spray cleaner with bleach will remove the chrome if you want to go that way. Brake fluid works, but it is hard to get it all off and will ruin any paint applied over a polluted area. :blink

I keep a sealed jar of Castrol Super Clean to strip chrome parts, a little lasts for years.

Any spray cleaner with bleach will remove the chrome if you want to go that way. Brake fluid works, but it is hard to get it all off and will ruin any paint applied over a polluted area. :blink

I keep a sealed jar of Castrol Super Clean to strip chrome parts, a little lasts for years.

Honestly, this is probably your best bet if you want a consistent finish and probably a lot less hassle in the long run.

Back