• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mission Models Paint

a few people I know have tried it and really like it. I do almost everything with craft paint so I really have no feedback on it

Just ordered a few for my Defiant...the Sky I've used so far had beautiful coverage and looks very smooth...

The folks at ARC. seem to love it . I have not tried it personally .

What's wrong with Tamiya paints ? That's the one readily available . :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian have you tried craft paints. They are a heavy base acrylic and are available almost everywhere. The secret is to thin them correctly.

Christian have you tried craft paints. They are a heavy base acrylic and are available almost everywhere. The secret is to thin them correctly.

No I have not . What brand are you referring to ? Some of the guys in the club use them.

Cheers, Christian B)

I have bought a few of these. Haven't used them on a model yet, but i have done some practice painting with them. The end results are very good IMO.

I watched a few different YouTube videos on using them first, which helped set the starting point, then I tried to find the sweet spot for my setup. Unlike what the literature says, I had a hard time spraying right out of the bottle, and do prefer using the polyurethane additive. Someone suggested a premix of 10 parts thinner to 1 part poly then using that premix to thin the paint at a ratio of 6 parts paint to 4 parts thinner for base coats. This seems to work well for me. But that is all personal taste. Remember, they are acrylics and with all water based acrylics, thin coats work best building up the coverage.

Paints tend to be personal taste, I like these. Others may not, but give them a try and see what you think.

Mike

Cheers, Christian B)

There is nothing wrong with Tamiya paints,Christian. :coolio

Michael Rinaldi is using Mision Models paints now,they have the benefit that they are more easyly
chipped using the Hair Spray technique.

Cheers, Christian B)

There is nothing wrong with Tamiya paints,Christian. :coolio

Michael Rinaldi is using Mision Models paints now,they have the benefit that they are more easyly
chipped using the Hair Spray technique.

HAHAHA :rotf ... OK Ron . I must say, I never have any problems removing paint . As a matter of fact, it's more the opposite .
It's hard to keep the paint on while doing all the other things afterwards :blush:

Whatever is available that works good for what you do is the best paint in my mind .

I certainly would try them if they were handy here . (y) Alas, nothing is handy here... :(

Cheers, Christian B)

Running into some of the paint quandaries that I have read about recently and even though I have had some issues with the Vallejo paints that I have been using I think I am going to stick with Vallejo for a while. I have a ton of the stuff in various colors that I have collected in the past few years. It is hard for me to justify binning my supply and restocking with all the new types of paint that are out there. I know that colors match better on most other brands and the way that they behave in application and adhesion are much better but still I think that the reasons are moot. Only because I doubt that anyone would be able to tell the difference between these paints by just looking at a few images on the computer screen. I am in agreement with others about the craft paint. $1.90 at Wally World and you can mix and match all you want for half the price. Getting it to stick well is all in the surface prep,IMHO, and not expecting an enamel or lacquer finish from them.

I would like to buy some of the newer paints but until they start coming down to earth in their pricing and offering full sets like RLM colors or RAL colors, etc,etc, then I am sticking with what I know. Tim and I Skype back and fourth and I do take into account a lot of what he discovers with his experiments in the sciences of hobby paint application. After all I learn on his dime. :D :D

Michael Rinaldi was heavily involved in the development so his use of them would be expected.
Mr Ford didn't drive a Chevy you know. :D

Back