• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vietnam Red Dust Effect?

iambrb

hey FINALLY getting to the weathering on my T-54....and curious as to how y'all achieve the red-dust effect that covered VN vehicles??

I'm thinking that the red dirt in Vietnam turns to a light sand/white color when dry and in dust form. If it is wet it becomes red again.

I recommend using a mix of pigments and washes for the possible look your going for.

You have it in your back yard. Or red clay is a lot like that, rich in iron oxide. That being said, iron oxide pigment maybe?
I thought one of the migs or armor made a pigment "Vietnam red" or some such.

hey FINALLY getting to the weathering on my T-54....and curious as to how y'all achieve the red-dust effect that covered VN vehicles??

hb7b5732.jpg

I usually mix other pigments to the red earth color to match the particular area of Vietnam I am modeling and sometimes I might not even use the red earth tones as some areas did not have the red clay.

You'll have to let us know how you like the Vantage Modeling Solutions stuff. It might be something better than what I am currently using.

Cheers,
James

Back