• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Question for Moonpup (or anyone else)

sharkman

Master at Arms
Hey Bob (or anyone else quick to jump on this),

I'm still a little ticked at what Photobucket did earlier this year, I did get an account on IMGUR and have ported over a few images to them but who's to say they won't pull something similar in the future.

I've figured out how to attach an image right from my home computer and am thinking this might be the best route to go from here on in. Just pondering on a couple things:

1. does attaching an image to a thread use up more memory or space or something that would negatively affect the forum as opposed to linking it to a third party host like IMGUR?

2. If so, is there a good size for the image that you suggest?

I have a new computer now and tonnes of space, this method would be easiest for me now.

Thanks!

Hey Warren, when I got ticked at PooterBucket a while back Bob pointed out that we have our own photo hosting here. Members only. While I have secondary posts on a couple of other sites, my main posting is here and the other sites just mirror what is already posted here. You can set up your own member's gallery here in our Coppermine Gallery.

The thing that eats up storage space the most is photo size. I always take several shots of each particular thing I am shooting and then crop, edit, highlight and add text whatever to the photos for posting. My photos are 1168 x 870 and end up between 150k and 300k size wise though usually average about 230k. Occasionally I will do an odd sized photo but they usually end up being in this file size range. Keeping the files smaller also helps when downloading them from the internet. (especially on a slow connect)

There are thousands of photos in our gallery, so I doubt that the hand full you post will be an issue. My only suggestion is that you set up an archive on your personal machine, storage or network to keep track. While there are many gigabytes of original photos on my system there are only a few megabytes of posted photos. (that I also archive)

As to storage I store my archive stuff in an external drive that only spins up when I access it. Being an external drive with all the archive stuff means that if my 'puter crashes, I can fairly easily access everything even if I have to rebuild a new machine. I am fixing to implement a set of 3 external drives that I will set up to swap between for archival stuff as any hard drive can crash at any time. Better safe than sorry.

I digressed here but hope it helped. I is fairly easy to create personal galleries and even easier to upload photos. If you have some kind of file name system then for each gallery it is super easy peasy to do photo posts and I can do photo posts in just a few minutes.

Hey Bob (or anyone else quick to jump on this),

I'm still a little ticked at what Photobucket did earlier this year, I did get an account on IMGUR and have ported over a few images to them but who's to say they won't pull something similar in the future.

I've figured out how to attach an image right from my home computer and am thinking this might be the best route to go from here on in. Just pondering on a couple things:

1. does attaching an image to a thread use up more memory or space or something that would negatively affect the forum as opposed to linking it to a third party host like IMGUR?

It does take up disk space, as I've been saying for over a year now we will be moving to another server. I"m in talks with someone to do this for us now. My work schedule has gotten so hectic it's hard for me to do it.

Short answer is yes, it will take up diskspace on the server but it's more secure than any 3rd party hosting.

2. If so, is there a good size for the image that you suggest?

Since the forum reduces the size to 720px wide there's really no point in uploading them any larger.

I would not waste time learning the Coppermine Gallery, when we move and upgrade the system, it will be gone, at this point I don't know if we'll have another "gallery" system. Just use the file attachment method.

Back