• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SEA camo

Paulw

I find myself involved in a future build that requires SEA camo. I am aware of the colors that it entails but my quandary is how and in what order do I follow in laying down the colors for a US aircraft bedecked in SEA livery. How do I mask for it, what color to lay down first and so on. That last time I attempted SEA camo it was on a 48 Revell Skyraider and it sort of looked like one of my youngest grand kids did it with a box or Crayola 64 count.

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

My general preference is to lay down lightest to darkest. But that's just my general preference as darker colors cover light colors easier than light colors tend to cover darker ones.

Hopefully the Pros around here can offer more meaningful insight. :drinks

Paul what I've done is gone light to dark, that way you don't have a dark under coat for the light colors. Also, no masking, soft edge demark so break out that fine AB. I didn't give it an all over base coat other than the primer. I would do the tan color, brown then green but keeping those patterns within their selves if that makes sense.

Paul what I've done is gone light to dark, that way you don't have a dark under coat for the light colors. Also, no masking, soft edge demark so break out that fine AB. I didn't give it an all over base coat other than the primer. I would do the tan color, brown then green but keeping those patterns within their selves if that makes sense.

So no sharp demarcation lines? Thats a great relief.

I do similar to these other guys, but I do mask with Silly Putty. Then again, I also do my aircraft in 1/72 scale so a sharp-edged camouflage can look acceptable. I start with Olive Drab or Tan; depending on which one I broke out first, then I add the darkest color.

Good luck Paul.

Hey Paul...

When I did my Freedom Fighter a couple of months ago, I started with a very dark grey undercoat followed by the tan then jumped ahead to the darkest green because the pattern was so intricate on this particular aircraft.

I painted it in 'sessions' that weren't connected - something like 'right wing', 'right fin', 'left stbiliser' and left forward fuselage. Then leave all that for a couple of days, strip down all the masking, re-mask and do some more. The idea was keep all the masking simple and separated to avoid confusion.

Very, very labour-intensive, but a I got a great, clean finish at the end. Most of the masking was done with Blu-Tack for the pattern and Scotch vehicle tape (the lime green one) for the big sections. HTH, matey.

Ian.

So no sharp demarcation lines? Thats a great relief.

No sharp demarcs, SEA was definitely soft lines. I remember well the B52s at GFAFB, they were not the SEA scheme but the scheme right after that, white underside with the camo on top. Then they went to that nato scheme while I was there, the nato black, nato green camo.

Back