• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Resistance Soldering?

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
With my eyesight changing, I'm finding it more difficult to solder PE with the old school methods. Resistance soldering seems to be the natural progression, but there's lots of price points and I don't want to get "burned" with a cheap toy. I don't solder enough to warrant an expensive rig either, any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

:drinks

Resistance Soldering

Unfortunately, American Beauty is the only way to go.

I had one for a while that was modified just for PE and it was incredible. I could put together 5 piece 1/35 Voyager clamps that worked.

That said, to get the most out of it, you needed really thin, high lead solder (from the UK), with liquid flux and a good amount of practice.
It's not a cheap way to go, I'd paid well north of $400 when it was all said and done, but man it was nice. I didn't use it enough to justify it though. I still have two Pz I fenders that are all brass, diamond plating, tool holders, etc.

If I was doing armor as much as I planned back in the day, I'd get another, but I rarely even look at PE anymore.

Resistance Soldering

Unfortunately, American Beauty is the only way to go.

I had one for a while that was modified just for PE and it was incredible.

Agreed! Jeff, what happened to yours?

;)

You can borrow it anytime you want. Let me know in advance and I will have it ready.

Regards,

Resistance Soldering

Do we know of any aging Model railroaders? perhaps they don't solder as much as they used to, or fell into the bigger better deal? Just me thinking. :rotf
yeah, ME!

I know someone who has one but he's not coming off it. I got him to come off the Lathe that I haven't used yet. I've been squirreling away some cash to get the real deal but there's always something...transmission in truck..that sort of stuff.

Auf, how was your set modified? I love my American Beauty ;)- it works a treat.

Saul can get you pics, he's the current proud owner of it. B)

My old business partner was an engineer who swore by American Beauty. He made me a plate of stainless steel that hooked up to the unit instead of the clamp and special set of thin tungsten tips for the probe. The operation was easy: place the PE on the plate, drop a tiny bit of solder cut from the strip next to the join, hold the part to solder with the point of the probe with my right hand, dab the flux with the brush in my left and depress the pedal. Zap, Crinkle, done, next...

For those who don't know what resistance soldering is, it's instant intense heat to the precise point of contact. No warming up, no hot iron, no melting off everything else in the vicinity. And by instant, I mean instant. It's zzzzzzit-crinkle-cool. Under a second.

Saul can get you pics, he's the current proud owner of it.

If you guys want it, I can do so later in the week as it is put away in the garage.

My old business partner was an engineer who swore by American Beauty. He made me a plate of stainless steel that hooked up to the unit instead of the clamp and special set of thin tungsten tips for the probe. The operation was easy: place the PE on the plate, drop a tiny bit of solder cut from the strip next to the join, hold the part to solder with the point of the probe with my right hand, dab the flux with the brush in my left and depress the pedal. Zap, Crinkle, done, next...

Perfect for the front grill of the Steyr 1500 as supplied by Aber.

Regards,

Saul can get you pics, he's the current proud owner of it. B)

And I have his set-up - it's a beauty!

Resistance Soldering

I don't solder enough to warrant an expensive rig either, any suggestions???

For me, the only answer was American Beauty. There are others but the combination of features versus price (plus the fact I was getting one that Ted modified for modeling purposes) made my decision final.

So what are the keys and features to look for?

Control and wattage.

So, back to the original questions..... :huh:

These are a few snaps of the points that do the work:
hde7e76c.JPG

h52fe1b6.JPG

Regards,

So, back to the original questions..... :huh:

This would be the rig I would like to get....on sale.

https://americanbeautytools.com/Resistance-Soldering/111

Micromark of course has some knockoff models, think if you're going to spend money get the real deal. :drool

I think this is a case of better to cry once. Could you get a cheap unit to work? Probably, but the whole point of going to resistance soldering is to make it easier and to have more control. Not sure your are getting those with a cheap unit.

I think this is a case of better to cry once. Could you get a cheap unit to work? Probably, but the whole point of going to resistance soldering is to make it easier and to have more control. Not sure your are getting those with a cheap unit.

I agree with this answer completely . Too big of an investment to get it wrong the first shot .

Cheers, Christian B)

I agree completely regarding quality. While our use would be for little pieces of brass, this is a serious piece of equipment sending a good amount of current through something you're holding in your hand.

I hate cheap tools! There's nothing worse than buying a tool that either doesn't do the job, breaks or causes further aggravation. I have an old pencil soldering iron that does the job, but it ain't pretty and is kind of dangerous to me and my home. Guess I'll have to sell some stash to finance this expedition? :laugh:

Keep in mind you don't need to buy it as a set. You may find it cheaper separately as a unit, probe and foot switch.

Maybe Saul can get you a photo of the grounding plate as opposed to the AB clamp you'd get in a set.

Back