• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Thinner Question

iambrb

hey I have a question:

Is there a differnce between Lacquer Thinner and just standard Paint Thinner when it comes to cleaning your airbrush?

Is the Lacquer thinner that much more effective? Or is standard Paint Thinner OK?

The real question is what are sending through your airbrush?

Yes, there's a difference between lacquer thinner and paint thinner, but it's really a matter of what you are trying to do.

I am sending thru (in Descending order) Tamiya, Model Masters, Future cut with Windex, and sometimes those little 1/2 ounce bottles of Testors. All thinned as needed of course

I would avoid the windex and all ammonia based products through an air brush as it causes the chrome to start stripping from the brass and then you get something that resembles green gunk.

Proprietary thinners, while being more expensive, are much more easier on the airbrush than ammonia which would be more expensive still. Don't confuse thinners with cleaners either. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back