• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Need a variable speed switch 4 model

Tankbuilder

Hoping someone here can help me.

O know they existed but I need a variable speed switch for one of my model dioramas. Actually two of them. The switch needs to controldepending on the batteries i use, between 3 and 9 volts and from zero to the top voltage ofthe battery or pbatteries. Anyone know of such a switch from Radio Shack?

Thanks and cheers

Radio Shack pretty much has gone away these days. What you probably need is either a 5 position rotary switch with an off position ( off,1,2,3,4) that you can hook resistor values to. Also if it is resistor related, you could use a pot with an off switch. (pot is a variable resistor)

It would help if you could explain what you are trying to do.

Not quite sure either what you are looking for, but if its just a variable resistor here is one for 9 Volt circuits.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-5k-ohm-linear-taper-potentiometers

02711714_00_2cfcd2e9-dcd4-499b-83cd-77626d86cec0_600x600_crop_center.progressive.jpg

James

Thanks guys!

I want to use it to control the speed of an electric motor in my 1/28 scale Werner Voss' Fokker F.1 triplane model. I have the Red Baron's Fokker Dr.1 finished but I'd like to have Voss' motor go from stop to speed whilst videoing it in operation.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Motors are a bit tricky to control like that. Most operate at pretty high rpm and use gearing to reduce speed. RC controls use a series of transistors (FETs) to regulate or move through speed settings.

You might get lucky if you use a potentiometer, but you're most likely not going to be able to slow it like you want. It'll slow down, even with resistors, but it won't be a smooth curve, it'll gain pretty fast.

Since you're not trying to fly or drive, I'd suggest you go with the lowest power source that'll turn your motor, like a single AA, that way any resistance in line will be more effective.

Here's a different thought :hmmm

If you want complete speed control you may want to consider a train transformer with a pulsating DC option.

The control is 1-100 % You can get a used one pretty cheap.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back