• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

stripping paint!

sharkman

Master at Arms
How do most of you guys strip paint from styrene?

I have some pieces I want to get back to bare plastic, thought about using ordinary paint stripper but thought it might be too harsh for the styrene.

:idonno

Brake fluid works but you have to be sure to get it all neutralized before you try to paint again. Unless you've had a catastrophic paint failure, I'd rather wetsand, prime and repaint.

Maybe a silly question but do you really need to strip paint from styrene,is another primer coat not a better option?
:idonno :popcorn

Gr,Ron.

From personal experience NEVER EVER USE LIQUID OVEN CLEANER

It works fantastic BUT if even a little bit gets into an open place you will know what it feels like to have molten lava dumped into a wound.

PS Tamiya has a new cleaner that is supposed to be fantastic. We also have a local disinfectant called Dettol that works absalutely marvelous in stripping paint if your willing to let it stand 24 hours

I mostly paint with vallejo ontop of a tamiya primer (spraycan) and the best way to get the vallejo paint of is their airbrush cleaner, and it leaves the primer untouched :)
Mats

I have used the Simple Green cleaner with much success. I believe I bought it at Home Depot or Canadain Tire. Let it soak in a tuperware container overnight or a couple of days.

It would help to know what sort of paint you want to strip . Ihave used brake fluid on ancient enamels without any issues. Even on clear.

I feel quite sure that either Tamiya or Gunze laquer thinner will also work.

Jut apply with a flat brush and ruba bit. Rinse with water.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys! I appreciate the response and pretty much came up with the same conclusions after a quick search online.

I'm looking at stripping paint from a couple floats that were brush painted. Not sure if it was enamels or acrylic.

The Simple Green sounds like it might work. I did try some Tamiya laquer thinner and all it seemed to do was take some dust off and the outer most little bit.

I'm thinking that since they are small I will just sand them, was hoping to preserve the raised detail but I can always add more!

:good:

Could try 91% alcohol . It should work without damaging the plastic.

Easy to find and you can use it to spray Tamiya paints.

Cheers

I've only tried to strip paint once. I was like 8 or 9 and I wasn't happy with hoe I painted the skeleton figures that came with Rommel's Rod. It was only enamels back then, Pactra or Testers and I had a Mason jar full or Turpentine to clean brushes. Can you see where this is going?

After an overnight soak, the jar was crystal clear with some sediment, but my skeleton figs were gone. Of course I went around accusing everyone in the house of stealing the parts when I was asleep, but they were sitting dissolved in the bottom of the jar.

I'm in position to give stripping advice. :v

Denatured alcohol works wonders on the acrylic paints (and some solvent based paint as well) and won't harm the styrene.
Hit it with a soft old tooth brush and run under the tap to rinse. Repeat until clean.

Good luck,

Bill

Back