• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Who makes a good sonic cleaner?

Chad I paid like $30 for the one I have, had it for like 3-4 years now. Harbor Freight cheapo model. I'm thinking no more than we have to use them it's no point in getting a high price one.

I echo Bob, this isn't something you need to spend a ton of cash on. It's also one of those things that gets made in one or two plants and rebranded for a lot of different companies.

Keep in mind, the sound just generates a vibration as the parts sit in a cleaning solution (Windex). Don't expect miracles, you can get similar result by soaking and removing stuff by hand. There is one recommendation that you do it weekly, but I'd end up spending more on Windex than I do on paint if I did.

I bought one thinking it would make a huge difference, but really it just takes up shop space. I'll use it about once a month because I feel I have to, but I find if I just keep the brush clean as I use it, there's no need for deep cleaning.

They're made for cleaning jewelry, etc, where you're just trying to dislodge dirt and skin oil that gets stuck in crevices on rings and the like. It's not really meant to break away dried paint, which once you have the brush apart, could be done with soaking and those paper points and soft brush cleaners.

Going in, I kind of expected to place the brush in the machine, press a button and it'll look like it did when I first cracked the box. It's not the case. :blink

I got mine on EBay about 5 years ago
I think. Very inexpensive but good. Dont remember the company but the part number is HB 3813. Looks pretty much like this one.
https://www.amazon.ca/Lyman-Turbo-Sonic-Small-Cleaner/dp/B0077RHZE8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1474838789&sr=8-13&keywords=Sonic+cleaner

31Bj8hfnBhL._SY355_.jpg

James

for really cleaning I suggest getting those wire brushes, picked up a set at the now defunct CRM Models booth.

These, except I didn't get the long handle brush (toothbrush would work) or the Brush pen, not even sure what you'd use that on. Just those with the bristles around the wire.

http://grexusa.com/grexairbrush/products.php5?id=FA02

Darn you all to heck Zod. You had to make me look at what was out there. :bang head :bang head :bang head

I now have a shiny new sonic cleaner coming my way. :idonno

41KZZQyIJNL._SX450_.jpg

Now to explain to the wife.....she throws her jewelry in with my airbrushes so maybe it was the extra wear and tear ?????

James

Thanks for the replies and tips gents. I just placed an order with Amazon. I got the cleaning filter jar and brush combo. It seems to me that it is harder to do a deep clean using whatever you use to clean an airbrush with these more modern acrylics. :idonno

Darn you all to heck Zod. You had to make me look at what was out there. :bang head :bang head :bang head

41KZZQyIJNL._SX450_.jpg

Now to explain to the wife.....she throws her jewelry in with my airbrushes so maybe it was the extra wear and tear ?????

James

That looks like the one I got except the nice wire basket. What happened, Chris walk by the computer again and click buy now? :rotf

I have an ancient ultrasonic technical pen cleaner that was tossed my way from a place I worked years ago. It works well but I almost never use it. It runs for a while until it heats the solution up and shuts off.

As to cleaning my Krome, I heavily modified the bottom of the cup right after I first got it. Call it blueprinting like they do with car intake manifolds. Made it where the paint ALL flows down to the nozzle and makes it much easier to clean. I will get a TOOL TIME posting up on that airbrush eventually showing a bunch of stuff.

I have found that good old pipe cleaners work for getting the tube behind the nozzle clean. Use the pipe cleaner then take a wire cutter and snip off the dirty end. They last a LONG time that way. Q-tips and fancy version make up type Q-tips from Walgreens work for cleaning the cup area. Then a special tool I made out of brass wire, based on one I bought from Badger years ago for cleaning the inside of the tip. (that will need some pics) It is tapered and basically scrapes all the paint from the inside of the tip or nozzle. The original was steel, the brass one is less likely to damage the inside of the tip. I have a lot of trouble with acrylic paints leaving deposits so I don't like using them. Basically if it won't clean out with lacquer cleaner I don't like using it as the airbrush then HAS to be torn down.

I also periodically take the rest of the airbrush apart "completely". That includes the rear seal behind the cup that Badger wants you to send the airbrush to them for replacement. :rotf That ended up (for me at least) being a no brainer and quite easy to remove, clean and reseat. I can understand though why they decided to make it a "send in replacement" item. You have to have a REAL LIGHT TOUCH when putting it back together to adjust the tension just right. Too tight the needle won't move or you damage the seal (just a light touch when installing can be too tight) Too loose and it leaks. Works better than their old needle seal though and is adjustable if you can do light touchy adjustments. The other part to removing it is having the exact correct type of screwdriver. (I just happened to have the right Wiha screwdriver) :D

Once I make the post, I might contact them with a link and ask if they will sell me an extra couple of tips and an extra couple of those seal parts for spares. We will see. :lol: Spares in hand beat cheeks on having to wait on parts to ship.

41KZZQyIJNL._SX450_.jpg

James

That looks like the one I got except the nice wire basket. What happened, Chris walk by the computer again and click buy now? :rotf

No she was napping. The lid is broken on mine. It still works great but I have thought once or twice about it. Looking at Amazon though and this one jumped out at me. It heats the fluid and is 160Watts so pretty powerful for a little rig. And I just sort of kind of clicked on it. :pinch:

James

Just have her be careful about what jewelry she puts in it. Emmeralds usually disintegrate in ultrasonic cleaners. Other stones can be damaged. Diamonds, ruby, and sapphire are ok. Anything that looks like them is usually ok.

41KZZQyIJNL._SX450_.jpg

James

No she was napping. The lid is broken on mine. It still works great but I have thought once or twice about it. Looking at Amazon though and this one jumped out at me. It heats the fluid and is 160Watts so pretty powerful for a little rig. And I just sort of kind of clicked on it. :pinch:

James
Don't you just hate it when you sort of click on something? :gogo

Ha ha ...toy town stuff :)
My sonic cleaner takes a gallon and is used for cleaning motorcycle carburetors. I use it most days but in my opinion more important than the cleaner itself is the fluids you use. I buy it in gallon cans and it comes in different degrees of aggression from mild solvent to stuff that strips rust from steel in about 3 minutes !!
Over the years i have had several makes and my advice once you get into larger models is to go as simple as you can, you don't need digital readouts to clean something for 2 minutes and temp is not fussy to within 10 degrees so go for a clockwork timer and temp setting of 1-10 on a dial. The simpler the better and the longer it will last.

http://mistralie.co.uk/collections/ultrasonic-cleaners

Yeah we have a gallon sized heavy duty ultrasonic at work. Use heavy soap and ammonia (yeah it knocks you over when you open the lid on a fresh batch of cleaner). Kind of eats your skin off a bit, but we have to use it. you wouldn't believe how nasty some folks' jewelry is. :sick: :blink

My smaller ones at home are a lot less harsh.

This one is super nice! Granted is $80 at Harbor freight but is worth every Penny, I have tried the small ones at Wal mart and the like, and this is head and shoulders over it...this is what I am getting for Christmas

41KZZQyIJNL._SX450_.jpg

James

James
Don't you just hate it when you sort of click on something? :gogo

What do you use for a cleaning fluid for airbrushes in ultrasonic tanks ?? I use mainly tamiya acrylics through my brush ?

I use Windex Paddy, probably not the approved solution but works well. Also use it on resin pieces. Good enough for no streak windows... :ro: (y)

Back