• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MAJOR KUDOS TO ALL! overspray removal on canopy

iambrb

Hey gang! Been working on the Skyhawk and I peeled off the carfeul masking....only to find I had some overspray on it! relly looks worse than it is

I am pretty sure this is Tamiya Primer white...any way to remove it without ruining the clear finish? No, I did not dip it in future

overspray removal on canopy

I think I would wipe it with the appropriate thinner on a soft paper towel until most its gone or close to all gone. Then use Colgate tooth paste (not the gel type but the old fashioned white gritty type until it is nice and clear again. Then rinse well and dip in Future and set aside for a few days to harden in a dust free place. Thats what I would try.

Lternately you could have a beer or two while looking at it and then another while you get all the parts out and then another while you surf the net looking for a replacement or until the canopy looks good to you. Hard stuff works also but dont mix ;)
James

Oh man - that really sux!

You can try to use some acetone or rubbing alcohol. Then a dip in future. I've removed enamels with Easy Off oven cleaner before and it took the paint but didn't hurt the plastic. But never tried it on clear plastic. Another option would be to sand it off and then polish the plastic, then a dip in future.

I think no mater what you do, you'll need to polish it up when its done.

Just some thoughts, I look forward to other people's ideas as well.

I would NOT use acetone!! That would definitely mess up the part! I would suggest some Testors Dried acrylic paint remover. I use it all the time to clean brushes and it seems to work on all kinds of paint. I would put a little in a cotton swab and gently rub on the paint until it is mostly wiped off. Don't scrub hard, just rub lightly to loosen the paint.
Once it is down to a slight film, get some Novus #2 plastic polish. It looks a little like liquid car wax without the silicones or wax. Rub at it with a finger tip until the haze is polished off. Then buff the rest off with a paper towel.

The Novus #2 is a mainstay tool for me as it works for all kinds of things. I have used it on canopies, removing scratches from DVD's, any plastic which needs polishing. Always handy to have around. Works much better than toothpaste. As an alternate you might try automotive polish for paint. You don't want to use car wax but a liquid polish without wax in it is always handy for the hobby.

I second what Paul has said. Novus plastic polish. Don't get to carried away with vigorous polishing because you may burn the part but take it easy and try to stay away from solvent based cleaners.

MAJOR KUDOS TO ALL WHO RECOMMENDED THE NOVUS PLASTIC POLISH!

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/naval-aircraft/151842-a4-b-skyhawk?start=24#277584

Back