• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Why don't they paint Tow clevis/shackle?

wds

This relates to modern (Nato?) armor.There seems to be an obvious effort not to paint them.

Anybody know?

Thanks,

Bill

Galv_.jpg

1. so you may see any type of crack or issue that will cause failure
2. under stress there won't be any paint in there anyway
3 it helps keep moisture out.
4. and Chief says if you paint it he will kick your ass. :drunk

The shackles, clevis' and wire rope in the tow cables have a very high nickel content, almost to the level of stainless steel, so don't need painting and show very little rust. Also as mentioned, paint can hide all sorts of defects. Some tow cables have a Teflon coating on the wire rope.

Cheers,
Rich

It depends where you are. I have seen some painted red. I;m not sure the reason unless its because they get warn so fast with all the chaffing. Pauls explanation sounds reasonable though.
James

One reason we didnt paint them so was when something was being hooked up and the pin needed to be removed . Obviousely you will lay the shackle down.. Then mr murphy strikes and you cant find it . natural metal shows up better. Also paint wears off easily so it a non issue if they are painted or not . On a different note by the time they develop a stress fracture they have already failed

Thanks, Rich and James! B)
Thanks for the photos Terry. I guess it can go either way. :)
Thanks 135engineer. I think that i have seen pictures of the pin painted red. (or at least the head of the pin). For visibility I guess. (y)

Thanks to you all for the school lesson. Model on!

Cheers,

Bill

Wonder if the NMF ones are replacements, aftermarket...or the ones that are painted are the originals when the vehicle was delivered.

Back