• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Thoughts on Calligraphy Ink as a water based wash?

helios

So I was sitting here thinking about the impending attempt at a wash on the Jaguar, trying to decide which way to go. I picked up some Tamiya x22 clear gloss that I could use as an acrylic overcoat prior to doing an oil wash. I haven't used the Tamiya over the Testors enamel & lacquers yet, so I'm a little gunshy.

So I started thinking about getting some acrylic or watercolor artist paints to make a wash from, and use those over the Testors lacquer gloss coat, which is a known commodity for me. I started thinking about other water based options...and came across calligraphy inks. Already come pretty thin...and are easily thinnable. I've got have a mind to experiment on an unfinished model I've got laying around that's perfect to experiment on which has been painted and in glosscote. http://www.winsornewton.com/na/shop/inks-and-drawing/calligraphy-inks

Thoughts? Or am I just being crazy? Or should I just roll on w/ the Tamiya clear & oil paint wash?

Thoughts on Caligraphy Ink as a water based wash?

In the past I used Pelikan brand india type inks and they worked quite well over enamels. I found several brownish inks as well as grey and the black India ink. I have tried some other brands but they don't work very well and not nearly as good as the Pelikan brand.

Also, over enamels I could use a Q-tip with a little 409 to clean off excess and do touch ups without damaging the underlying paint. Only with the Pelikan brand though, other brands I tried just didn't work.

I've used them as washes, both India and Calligraphy (don't know if there's a difference). If I remember correctly, they are pretty concentrated, so you need to be careful that you don't go too heavy and they get everywhere, staining a lot of surfaces.

I'm experimenting now on the Vospers MTB. I've been simply adding dry pigments: rust, black, brown and green (for algae staining) to Future. It works really well when done in small areas at a time. I have a puddle of Future, a pile of pigment, dip the brush in the pigment, then load it up with Future and apply. I'm mainly doing streaks on the hull, so I dab on some, then immediately pull down with a rag. After it dries, it can be adjusted or tuned a bit with some Windex on a paper towel.

I guess inks could be used in the Future too.

I'm not sure how this will play on heavily detail areas yet, the MTB is for RC, so I have to have the entire lower hull done and waterproofed before I build the deck, otherwise I'd be snapping parts off it right and left. Once I finish water trials etc., I'll try the same Future/pigment on the deck for consistency.

Back